The Canon EOS R50 Mirrorless Camera is a compact and lightweight mirrorless camera with advanced photo and video capabilities. This camera is slightly smaller and lighter than the EOS M50 Mark II and features an upgraded 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC X image processor to produce high-resolution still images and UHD 4K video.
24.2MP APS-C CMOS Sensor and DIGIC X Processing
Combining a powerful 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor with the DIGIC X image processor, the R50 produces high-resolution images with vivid and accurate colours. This camera offers a flexible ISO 100-32000 range that can be expanded to ISO 51200 so that it can be used in a variety of lighting conditions. Using the full width of the sensor, both 6K oversampled UHD 4K 30p and Full HD 1080 120p slow-motion playback are supported. Additionally, there is now an hour of video recording available. The DIGIC X image processor is capable of handling high-speed bursts and 4K video, and its silent electronic shutter allows for up to 15 fps of continuous shooting.
Enhanced Dual Pixel CMOS AF II
The advanced Dual Pixel CMOS AF II system features 651 autofocus zones with high precision for quick and accurate focusing performance. This phase-detection focusing system provides enhanced subject detection and tracking, with the ability to intelligently recognise people, animals, and vehicles while automatically locking onto them and maintaining sharp focus throughout bursts and video captures.
2.36m-Dot EVF and Vari-Angle Touchscreen LCD
The R50 is equipped with a bright and clear 2.36m-dot OLED EVF for a pleasing electronic viewfinder experience and high-resolution eye-level viewing. In addition, a large 3.0" 1.62m-dot vari-angle touchscreen provides a user-friendly interface for controlling focusing points, navigating menus, and reviewing images. This display also features a variable-angle design to facilitate use from both high and low angles.
Advanced A+ Assist
Expanded auto-compatible scene options enhance your creative photography experience. Advanced A+ Assist enables excellent imagery in challenging environments such as night views and backlit situations. Multiple continuous shots are taken to create beautiful night images or macro photography with a deeper depth of field, and overexposure is automatically reduced so that dynamic scenes or bright portraits can be captured.
Simple and Convenient Vlogging
The R50 camera makes vlogging and video content creation simple and convenient with video recording features such as uncropped UHD 4K movie recording at up to 30 fps, Full-HD High-frame rate movie recording at up to 120 fps, Dual Pixel CMOS AF tracking, and Movie for Close-up Demo Mode. The camera can also record video continuously for up to one hour, allowing you to set up your vlog, podcast, or other video project without having to worry about it stopping.
Movie for Close-Up Demos Mode
Ensure the correct subject is in focus with the R50 mirrorless camera's Movie for Close-Up Demos Mode. This mode quickly shifts focus from the on-camera subject to an object that is presented towards the camera's lens, making it ideal for movies in which a product must be shown to the audience, such as makeup demonstrations or cooking videos.
Vertical Movie Mode and Aspect Markers
Movie rotation information can be set during or after recording, allowing videos to be viewed on a smartphone in a vertical orientation. The Aspect Markers function displays visual indicators for different aspect ratios that may be desired when uploading the same file to multiple social media platforms. This display takes into account the correct composition of the various deliverable files that can be generated during editing.
- Wired and wireless connectivity options allow for multiple methods of transferring photos and videos, livestreaming, as well as for remotely controlling the camera. Physically, the camera features a USB-C port, a micro-HDMI port, and a microphone port for video recording.
- UVC/UAC compatibility allows the R50 camera to be used as a web camera to stream live video in Full HD without additional computer software. Compatible applications include Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Skype, and similar on-line web conferencing software.
- Built-in Bluetooth pairing lets you easily connect the camera to compatible smart devices using the free Canon Camera Connect app. This low-energy wireless connection helps preserve battery life, while providing remote control of the camera. It also sends continuously updated GPS location data from your phone, letting you geotag what you've captured so you know precisely where you captured the photo.
- Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity enables quick and seamless wireless functions, such as remote live view, file viewing, and transfer. Using the Canon Camera Connect app, you can also transfer files to your mobile device to browse and share on social media.
- Built-in USB-C allows you to connect the camera to a smartphone or computer. All Canon Camera Connect app features that can be used with Wi-Fi are now available when the camera and smartphone are connected via USB, using a compatible cable for your device.
Pop-Up Flash and Next-Generation Multi-Function Shoe
A built-in pop-up flash provides additional illumination for working in low-light conditions, and the camera's Multi-Function Shoe adds a row of pins to the design's front for enhanced accessory functionality. This shoe of the next generation also provides power to select accessory types that have historically required separate batteries.