FUJIFILM X-S20 Overview
Pocket-Sized Power, Endless Possibility
The X-S20 from FUJIFILM is a complete daily companion that punches above its weight class to deliver outstanding results to photographers and content creators on epic journeys and in private moments.
The 26.1-megapixel X Trans CMOS 4 sensor and the X-Processor 5 imaging engine are combined for the first time in an X-S-series model, resulting in high-speed image and video processing, improved autofocus speed and accuracy, FUJIFILM's renowned color science, and five-axis in-body image stabilization up to seven stops. The X-S20 does exceptionally well with video and has a Vlog mode that enables professional-quality footage with simple touchscreen settings adjustments while recording.
The camera's autofocus can be customized for the best content creation using the Product Priority and Background Defocus modes. Two 3.5mm jacks, one for an external microphone and the other for headphones, enable the camera's stunning imagery to be accompanied by next-level audio. High-quality broadcasting is enabled by streaming in 4K at 60 frames per second and Full HD via a USB-C port, and raw video can be recorded on external devices using the micro-HDMI output.
The X-S20 also has a user-friendly design that takes a sleek approach to efficient handling and shooting. The dials and buttons on the camera are larger and more noticeable. Additionally, the X-S20 has a rear 3.0" 1.84m-dot touchscreen LCD that uses a vari-angle design to accommodate working from high, low, and front-facing angles. It also has a bright 2.36m-dot electronic viewfinder.
The camera supports Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless connections and has a USB-C connector for tethering and other digital interfaces. To view and transfer images, view the camera's Live View, and control the camera remotely, use the exclusive FUJIFILM XApp. Longer shooting times are provided by the rechargeable lithium-ion NP-W235 battery, which is made possible in part by the processor's higher efficiency.
Stalwart Sensor, Premium Processor
26.1MP APS-C X-Trans BSI CMOS 4 Sensor and X-Processor 5
The APS-C-format 26.1MP X-Trans CMOS 4 sensor and the X-Processor 5 are combined in the X-S20 to enable the camera to render its smooth tones and colors at a higher speed for a longer period of time. The in-body image stabilization enhances the enhanced low-light performance and a broad native sensitivity range of ISO 160-12800.
It also uses a randomized pixel array, just like an X-Trans sensor, which results in excellent image quality and sharpness because an optical low-pass filter is not used. The X-Trans design more closely resembles the organic nature of film than traditional pixel patterns, producing subtle color and tonal transitions while also lowering moiré and aliasing. With the electronic shutter, the faster continuous shooting performance is limited to bursts of 30 fps when cropped and 20 fps when uncropped, and to 8 fps when shooting at full resolution with the mechanical shutter.
Unprecedented Video Performance
6K, 4K, and Full HD Video Recording
Additionally, the X-S20 provides a wide range of video capabilities, including internal 6K recording at up to 30 frames per second and Full HD recording at up to 240 frames per second for ultra slow-motion playback. The X-Processor 5's speed greatly enhances overall video performance by enabling quick read speeds during video recording and assisting in lowering rolling shutter distortion when filming moving objects. The camera has a 3.5mm microphone jack for more sophisticated audio recording and another 3.5mm headphone jack for audio monitoring, in addition to a micro-HDMI port that enables 12-bit 4:2:2 recording to an optional external recorder for improved quality.
User-Friendly Video Modes
A variety of shooting modes designed to meet various needs are available with the X-S20. The new Vlog mode, which is etched into the camera's mode dial, makes it simple to change camera settings while making videos on the touchscreen. For product videos or unboxing content, Product Priority mode's seamless shift in focus from your face to the object in front of you is ideal.
You can easily blur the background with the Background Defocus mode, giving your photos a more cinematic appearance. In addition, a 1080 LP mode was added to lessen the strain on the camera during extended recording at 50p or 59.94p. This mode uses a 1.29x crop, which requires less processing power, and allows for 32 minutes of recording in 104°F heat or 78 minutes when using the FAN-001.
Its subject-detection AF tracks and detects human faces and eyes in addition to a variety of other subjects, such as cars, motorcycles, drones, and a variety of other animals and birds. It is powered by the X-Processor 5 and Deep-Learning AI Technology.
Additionally, the X-S20 has a better auto-focus prediction algorithm, which ensures steady focusing even when photographing continuously moving subjects. This is especially apparent in Zone AF and low-contrast settings. The camera's AUTO mode combines autofocus and subject detection to keep everything sharp, ensuring you never miss a crucial moment. This gives you the confidence to compose and create.
- High-resolution 2.36m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder has a 0.62x magnification for bright and clear eye-level viewing.
- Vari-angle 3.0" 1.84m-dot LCD has a touchscreen design for intuitive operation and playback, and the articulating design greatly benefits working from high and low shooting angles. This vari-angle design also means you can close the screen against the camera body, hiding it from view for distraction-free shooting.
- Despite the compact design, a large righthand grip enables solid and stable handling for comfortable all-day use. It is slightly larger than its predecessor to accommodate a larger battery.
- The top plate incorporates a series of physical controls, including a dedicated exposure mode dial and two additional top dials, for fast, intuitive control over camera and exposure settings.
- Rear joystick is available for intuitive selecting and switching of AF points as well as menu navigation and image playback.
- Rear face integration support for the FUJIFILM FAN-001 Cooling Fan, a cable-less accessory that attaches to the back of the camera to moderate the operating temperature and more than double 6K recording times to 78 minutes.
- Integrated Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity allows for wirelessly sharing images to a mobile device using the FUJIFILM XApp or to use the device to remotely control the camera.
- Single SD memory card slot supports up to the UHS-I standard for fast and flexible file storage.
- Included NP-W126S battery provides approximately 750 frames per charge.
Film Simulation Modes
The X-S20 incorporates several Film Simulation modes that mimic the appearance and feel of some of FUJIFILM's classic film types, including Provia, Velvia, Astia, Classic Chrome, Classic Neg, PRO Neg, Eterna, Eterna Bleach Bypass, Acros, B&W, and Sepia. This is done by drawing on FUJIFILM's extensive history in traditional film-based photography. There is also a Grain Effect mode that can be used to mimic the appearance of vintage film photos with an organic textured appearance, which is especially noticeable when printed. Additionally available are the Color Chrome and Color Chrome Blue effects, which use higher saturation colors to deepen color, tonal response, and gradation.
FUJIFILM XC 15-45mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS PZ Lens (Black)
Sporting a sleek profile and a versatile focal length range, the black XC 15-45mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS PZ from FUJIFILM is a 23-69mm-equivalent zoom characterized by its compact, retractable design. The first power zoom lens in the X-series lineup, this lens allows for electronic zoom control for smooth focal length adjustments. It also features an optical image stabilization system that minimizes the appearance of camera shake by three stops for sharper handheld images.
Complementing the handling assets, the optical design incorporates both aspherical and extra-low dispersion elements, to improve sharpness and clarity, and has a Super EBC coating that suppresses flare and ghosting in order to achieve greater contrast and color accuracy.
- Standard zoom is designed for FUJIFILM X-mount mirrorless cameras and provides a 23-69mm equivalent focal length range.
- Two extra-low dispersion elements are used to reduce color fringing and chromatic aberrations in order to produce high clarity and color fidelity throughout the zoom range.
- Three aspherical elements control distortion and spherical aberrations, which helps to improve sharpness and realize more accurate rendering.
- Super EBC coating has been applied to individual elements to reduce lens flare and ghosting for improved contrast and color fidelity when working in strong lighting conditions.
- Power zoom design allows for easy switching between focal lengths and two separate speeds can be selected depending on how the zoom ring is rotated. When recording video, the zoom will move at a constant speed in order to produce a smoother, more pleasing motion.
- Using the power zoom capability, the lens also features a retractable design for a more compact form factor when not in use. Additionally, when the camera is turned on, the lens will automatically extend into position for shooting.
- Stepping motor, along with an internal focusing design, affords fast and quiet autofocus performance that benefits both stills and video applications.
- Optical image stabilization minimizes the appearance of camera shake by 3 stops to better enable handheld shooting with slower shutter speeds.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing out-of-focus quality to benefit the use of selective focus and shallow depth of field techniques.