With the stills-focused Lumix G9 Mirrorless Camera, which has a number of newly developed features and functions that will appeal to photographers, Panasonic has adopted a different approach to camera development.
A 20.3MP Live MOS sensor and the most recent Venus Engine processor, which together enable the capture of sharp images and video with sensitivities ranging up to ISO 25600, are at the heart of the imaging process. With the electronic shutter function, extremely quick speeds are also made possible, with continuous shooting at up to 60 frames per second. The G9 is very accommodating if you want to shoot both still images and video because it offers UHD 4K at up to 60p.
Many different aspects of this increased speed can be seen, such as an improved Depth-from-Defocus autofocus system with 225 areas for quick, accurate focusing throughout the frame. Additionally, a rear joystick has been added for simple control of the current focus point. The inclusion of 6K PHOTO at 30 fps and 4K PHOTO at up to 60 fps, which enable users to take 18MP or 8MP images, respectively, at exceptional frame rates, is another advantage of boosted processing. In addition to being quick, the 5-axis sensor stabilisation system supports Dual I.S. 2.0 and can reduce camera shake by up to six stops. Additionally, this new system makes it possible to use a multi-shot mode that takes eight separate photos and combines them into a single 80MP raw image.
The G9 has a redesigned body that is splash, dust, and freezeproof, so improvements go beyond performance. For quick access to key settings without having to check the LCD or viewfinder, which have both been improved, the body now has a top status LCD. The OLED viewfinder, in particular, has been enhanced with a 0.83x magnification and 3.68m-dot resolution. For lag-free viewing, the EVF has a quick 120 fps refresh rate as well. In addition, the LCD has been upgraded to a 3.0" 1.04m-dot free-angle touchscreen for intuitive operation and awkward angles.
20.3MP Digital Live MOS Sensor and Venus Engine
With a 20.3MP Light MOS Micro Four Thirds sensor and an upgraded Venus Engine processor, the G9 is designed for high-speed, high-resolution imaging and produces UHD 4K video. This setup allows for the use of sensitivities up to ISO 25600 while maximising resolution and minimising noise. The G9's electronic shutter allows for continuous shooting rates of up to 60 fps with AF-S and 20 fps with AF-C, or a mechanical shutter allows for rates of 12 fps for AF-S and 9 fps for AF-C.
UHD 4K Video Recording
The camera's outstanding stills feature set is complemented by UHD 4K video recording at up to 60p. In order to reduce file sizes, the G9 offers internal 30p recording with a 10-bit colour depth and 4:2:2 sampling. Various frame rates are also available to users, including 60p, 30p, and 24p in UHD 4K and 60p and 24p in Full HD. The Variable Frame Rate mode supports slow motion video at speeds of up to 180 frames per second in Full HD and 60 and 48 frames per second in UHD 4K. With the optional DMW-SFU1 Upgrade Software Key, HDR recording is supported as well as V-Log L recording.
The G9 includes a full-size HDMI output for using an optional external recorder to receive 10-bit 4:2:2 footage at all resolutions up to UHD 4K at 60p in order to maximise image quality. Additionally, a 3.5mm headphone jack and 3.5mm microphone input are provided for better audio recording.
6K and 4K PHOTO
Utilizing the G9's video recording capabilities, a trio of still shooting modes are available for recording continuous 8MP stills at a 60 or 30 fps shooting rate or 18MP stills at a 30 fps shooting rate:
- Burst: This mode will allow you to continuously record, making it ideal for instances where you need a fast frame rate in order to capture the best moment.
- Pre-Burst: This mode is ideal for times when you're unsure of the critical moment to press the shutter button and will record images one second prior to and one second after pressing the shutter button in order to give you 60 frames to choose from.
- Burst (S/S): This mode most closely follows the video recording process, and allows you to playback your video, pause at the chosen moment, and use the shutter button to mark a chosen frame from the video and save it as a single 8 or 18MP frame.
Dual I.S. 2
Dual I.S. 2 combines the sensor-shift image stabilisation technology of the G9 with lens-based image stabilisation to compensate for a wider range of movement types and produce sharper, clearer imagery. This helps to achieve the maximum sharpness when taking handheld pictures. O.I.S.-compatible Lumix lenses must be used with Dual I.S. 2. The camera shake that can be compensated for by this stabilisation system is about six stops.
Body Design and Built-In Wi-Fi
- A large OLED Live View Finder has an impressive 3.86m-dot resolution and 0.83x magnification for eye-level composition. This viewfinder also has a maximum refresh rate of 120 fps for clear, lag-free imagery.
- A larger means for image composition and playback, the 3.0" 1.04m-dot rear LCD monitor has a free angle, tilt and swivel design to support viewing from a variety of angles. It is also a touchscreen, which permits intuitive menu navigation and settings control.
- A backlit top status LCD provides immediate access to current settings without needing to raise the camera to eye level.
- Dual UHS-II SD card slots are present, which provides settings such as Relay Recording to automatically switch cards when one is full; Backup Recording, which records the same data to both cards simultaneously; and Allocation Recording, which lets you save certain files to each card for easier organization.
- Constructed from magnesium alloy with a die-cast frame, the G9 features a durable design that also incorporates extensive sealing at each joint, dial, and button to render it both splash- and dust-proof as well as freezeproof to 14°F.
- A joystick is available on the rear of the camera to make changing many settings easier and more intuitive, such as changing a focus point.
- The sleek flat-body profile incorporates both front and rear dials for intuitive control over aperture and shutter speed settings. Multiple assignable function buttons are also available, including a function lever.
- Built-in 5 GHz Wi-Fi connectivity with NFC and Bluetooth 4.2 Low Energy allows for wireless image sharing and remote camera control from linked smartphones and tablets. Bluetooth LE also enables a constant connection to your mobile device, allowing for functions such as geolocation and automatic image transfer.
225-Area Advanced Depth-From-Defocus AF System
With the help of Advanced DFD (Depth-From-Defocus) technology, the focusing position can be adjusted in as little as 0.04 seconds, allowing for continuous shooting at a rate of up to 20 frames per second while maintaining continuous autofocus. The use of subject colour, size, and motion vectors to intelligently lock-on to moving subjects and ensure precise focus is advantageous for both still and video recording modes as well as subject tracking applications. It is possible to change the sensitivity and speed to further enhance performance with particular subjects. Additionally, it has 225 AF zones, which offer superb control over the camera's focusing. A Starlight AF feature also supports working in low-light situations and allows accurate AF performance down to -4 EV.
Focus peaking, which highlights sharp contrast edges with a coloured outline to help you quickly identify your focus point, and Touch MF Assist, which enables touch-to-focus operation, are features that benefit manual focus operation. A custom selectable AF zone for Multi AF / Custom Multi AF and an AF Point Scope setting that temporarily magnifies the subject by 3x to 10x for focus position confirmation are additional AF features.
80MP High Resolution Mode
The G9 can capture and combine eight separate images using its High Resolution Mode to produce a single 80MP raw file using sensor-shift stabilisation technology. This system can create an image with a resolution of 10368 x 7776, which is more highly detailed and colour accurate than what can be achieved with a single shot alone.
Other Camera Features
- A mechanical focal plane shutter enables a fast maximum shutter speed of 1/8000 sec, as well as a top flash sync speed of 1/250 sec. An electronic shutter function also avails a top shutter speed of 1/32,000 sec to better enable working in bright conditions and with wider aperture settings. This shutter is rated for approximately 200,000 actuations.
- A Night Mode will automatically adjust brightness of the EVF and LCD for comfortable viewing in low-light conditions.
- An optional external USB power pack can be used to supply power to the camera via its micro-USB port.
- Depending on the lens in use, the included DMW-BLF19 battery provides approximately 380 shots per charge when using the rear monitor, or 360 with the electronic viewfinder.
- Photo Style modes: Standard, Vivid, Natural, Monochrome, L. Monochrome, Scenery, Portrait, Custom, Cinelike D, and Cinelike V.
- Creative Control modes: Expressive, Retro, Old Days, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Monochrome, Dynamic Monochrome, Rough Monochrome, Silky Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Cross Process, Toy Effect, Toy Pop, Bleach Bypass, Miniature Effect, Soft Focus, Fantasy, Star Filter, One Point Color, and Sunshine.