The Lumix GH5 Mirrorless Camera from Panasonic offers an outstanding imaging platform for shooters who demand some of the best video and still photography quality they can get in a single compact camera. It has been upgraded, redesigned, and packed with features. A 20.3MP Digital Live MOS sensor and a newly created Venus Engine processor, which both offer significantly faster processing times than its predecessor, are at the heart of the camera. This enables the recording of 4K video at up to 60 frames per second, 10-bit 4:2:2 internal recording with specific settings, Full HD video at up to 180 frames per second, continuous shooting at 12 frames per second, and sensitivity levels up to ISO 25600. Additionally, the camera has an integrated 5-axis sensor stabilisation system that, when used with specific lenses, can activate Dual I.S. 2 for incredibly effective shake correction that can account for up to 5 stops of shutter speed. Other enhancements include 6K PHOTO at 30 fps and 4K PHOTO at up to 60 fps, as well as a quicker and more accurate Advanced DFD autofocus system that can lock on in just 0.05 seconds.
The body also underwent some major improvements in addition to all these internal ones. The 3.2" free-angle touchscreen and 0.76x OLED viewfinder both received resolution upgrades to 3.68 million dots and 1.62 million dots, respectively, for viewing and composing images. Shooting will be more accurate and comfortable as a result. The magnesium alloy body is now splash, dust, and freezeproof down to 14°F. There are now two UHS-II SD card slots, which allow for quick image transfer and storage. Additionally, it provides Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for a fully wireless setup, as well as advanced functionality when paired with a mobile app.
20.3MP Digital Live MOS Sensor and Venus Engine
The GH5 boasts the best image quality to date from a Lumix camera thanks to its newly developed 20.3MP Digital Live MOS sensor without an optical low-pass filter and new Venus Engine processor. It will increase sharpness, details, and accuracy in a range of lighting conditions by utilising Multipixel Luminance Generation and Intelligent Detail Processing. With sensitivity ranges up to ISO 25600, it provides excellent three-dimensional colour control and precise noise reduction techniques. Additionally, it supports AF-S or manual focus modes at speeds of up to 12 frames per second.
4K Video Recording
In addition to its outstanding stills capabilities, the GH5 has exceptional video capabilities. While UHD 4K video at up to 60 frames per second is the main feature, the ability to record 4:2:2 10-bit files at resolutions up to DCI and UHD 4K at 24/30 fps is also a fantastic feature. The camera has a full-size HDMI port that allows for high-quality 4:2:2 10-bit output in all modes for use with external monitors and recorders. For highly detailed images free of compression artefacts, the camera also provides high bit-rate recording.
For more experienced users, several picture styles, including CINELIKE V and CINELIKE D, are available to provide a more gradable image. There is also an in-camera LUT to facilitate monitoring. Additionally, users will be able to choose between overcranking and undercranking settings, which can result in speeds that are up to 2.5 times slower in 4K (60 fps) and 7.5 times slower in Full HD (180 fps). Additionally, a 4K Anamorphic mode is offered, allowing you to record in the correct 4:3 ratio for later adjustment.
The GH5 is made to be an expandable system, and it has a variety of add-ons that can help to enhance video recording abilities. An optional V-Log L upgrade and separately sold accessories like the XLR Microphone Adapter, which offers XLR inputs and physical controls via a hot shoe connection, are two examples of this. The 3.5mm input and output jacks allow users to connect standard microphones and headphones.
6K and 4K PHOTO
Utilizing the GH5's video recording capabilities, a trio of still shooting modes are available for recording continuous 8MP stills at a 60 or 30 fps shooting rate or 18MP stills at a 30 fps shooting rate:
- Burst: This mode will allow you to continuously record, making it ideal for instances where you need a fast frame rate in order to capture the best moment.
- Pre-Burst: This mode is ideal for times when you're unsure of the critical moment to press the shutter button and will record images one second prior to and one second after pressing the shutter button in order to give you 60 frames to choose from.
- Burst (S/S): This mode most closely follows the video recording process, and allows you to playback your video, pause at the chosen moment, and use the shutter button to mark a chosen frame from the video and save it as a single 8 or 18 MP frame.
Dual I.S. 2
Dual I.S. 2 combines the sensor-shift image stabilisation technology of the GH5 with lens-based image stabilisation to compensate for a wider range of movement types to produce sharper, clearer imagery, helping to achieve the maximum sharpness when taking handheld photos. O.I.S.-compatible Lumix lenses must be used with Dual I.S. 2. The camera shake that can be compensated for by this stabilisation system is about 5 stops.
Body Design and Built-In Wi-Fi
- A large OLED Live View Finder has an impressive 3.86m-dot resolution and 0.76x magnification for eye-level composition.
- A larger means for image composition and playback, the 3.2" 1.62m-dot rear RGBW LCD monitor has a free angle, tilt and swivel design to support viewing from a variety of angles. It is also a touchscreen, which permits intuitive menu navigation and settings control.
- Dual UHS-II SD card slots are present which provides settings such as Relay Recording to automatically switch cards when one is full; Backup Recording, which recording the same data to both cards simultaneously; and Allocation Recording, which lets you save certain files to each card for easier organization.
- Constructed from magnesium alloy with die-cast front and rear frames, the GH5 features a durable design that also incorporates extensive sealing at each joint, dial, and button to render it both splash- and dust-proof as well as freezeproof to 14°F.
- A joystick is available on the rear of the camera to make changing many settings easier and more intuitive, such as changing a focus point.
- The sleek flat-body profile incorporates both front and rear dials for intuitive control over aperture and shutter speed settings. Multiple assignable function buttons are also available, as well as a dedicated exposure compensation dial.
- Built-in 5 GHz Wi-Fi connectivity with NFC and Bluetooth 4.2 Low Energy allows for wireless image sharing and remote camera control from linked smartphones and tablets. Bluetooth LE also enables a constant connection to your mobile device, allowing for functions such as geolocation and automatic image transfer.
225-Area Advanced Depth-From-Defocus AF System
Advanced DFD (Depth-From-Defocus) technology is used for accelerated autofocus performance. It quickly determines the distance to subjects and adjusts the focusing position in as little as 0.05 seconds, enabling continuous shooting up to 9 fps with continuous AF. The use of subject colour, size, and motion vectors to intelligently lock-on to moving subjects and ensure precise focus is advantageous for both still and video recording modes as well as subject tracking applications. It is possible to change the sensitivity and speed to further enhance performance with particular subjects. Additionally, it has 225 AF zones, giving the user excellent control over the camera's focusing. A Starlight AF feature also supports working in low-light situations and allows accurate AF performance down to -4 EV.
Focus peaking, which highlights sharp contrast edges with a coloured outline to help you quickly identify your focus point, and Touch MF Assist, which enables touch-to-focus operation, are features that benefit manual focus operation.
Other Camera Features
- A mechanical focal plane shutter enables a fast maximum shutter speed of 1/8000 sec., as well as a top flash sync speed of 1/250 sec. An electronic shutter function also avails a top shutter speed of 1/16,000 sec. to better enable working in bright conditions and with wider aperture settings.
- Raw image files can be processed in-camera for a more streamlined post-production workflow.
- Depending on the lens in use, the included DMW-BLF19 battery provides approximately 400 shots per charge when using the rear monitor, or 380 with the electronic viewfinder.
- Photo Style modes: Standard, Vivid, Natural, Monochrome, Scenery, Portrait, Custom, Cinelike D, and Cinelike V.
- Creative Control modes: Expressive, Retro, Old Days, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Monochrome, Dynamic Monochrome, Rough Monochrome, Silky Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Cross Process, Toy Effect, Toy Pop, Bleach Bypass, Miniature Effect, Soft Focus, Fantasy, Star Filter, One Point Color, and Sunshine.