Panasonic Lumix GH6 Mirrorless Camera
The Lumix GH6 Mirrorless Camera from Panasonic, a leader in the Micro Four Thirds class and a powerful hybrid addition to the video-focused GH series that provides cutting-edge technology to both photographers and cinematographers, is a diminutive beast that challenges full-frame competitors. Fast sensor readouts for internal recording of 5.7K 30p in Apple ProRes 422 HQ, FHD 300p, and handheld 100MP photos are made possible by the Venus Engine's increased processing power. The GH6 has in-body, sensor-shift stabilisation, properly exposes across 13+ stops, and comes with a V-log image profile that can be used to splice VariCam footage into. Professionals can use Panasonic's compact flagship camera for still photography, as the main workhorse for independent cinema, or as an additional angle on feature productions.
Flagship Imaging Platform: High Resolution 25MP Sensor, 5.7K Video
With new silicone and software, this sensor outperforms its GH Series forerunners, which were completely redesigned. Despite its smaller cell size, it has an improved 13+ stops of dynamic range thanks to the more pixels on the Micro Four Thirds sensor. For internal recording in 5.7K Apple Pro Res 422 HQ or 10-bit 4K120p, use a CFexpress Type B card or the SD slot. This camera differs from any of its predecessors due to its ability to record at high bitrates and for an unlimited amount of time.
The sensor is not restricted by a low-pass filter for maximum sharpness; any moiré is smoothed out by its updated Venus engine's intelligent detail processing. This camera combines eight different images into a single 100MP image using its next-generation image stabilisation, all without the aid of a tripod.
Lightning-Fast Sensor Readout
The Venus Engine, which has twice as much power as earlier generations, can produce slow-motion video at 300 frames per second or 75 frames per second continuously. When shooting from an action mount mounted on a car, the Venus Engine's quick sensor readout limits rolling shutter distortion to keep skyscrapers vertical or to record slow motion footage of rapidly moving objects.
Stabilization: In-Body, Sensor-Shift
- In-body, sensor-shift, 5-axis image stabilization is obtained with a high-precision gyro-sensor and a stabilization algorithm. At all focal lengths, this stabilization technology offers 7.5 stops of deviance from the shutter speed dictated by the reciprocal rule.
- Its in-body, sensor-shift technology works seamlessly with the optical image stabilization of Panasonic lenses. Electronic stabilization is available who those who accept the slight cropping effect it requires. Boost I.S. mode is the most extreme form of electronic stabilization, simulating a shot locked off on a tripod.
AF & AE Highlights
- The processing speed of the autofocus has been tripled, powering the 315-area contrast-detection depth-from-defocus (DFD) system. The updated algorithm calculates the distance to your subject and predicts whether it is moving closer or further away from the camera, anticipating where it will be for the following frame. It functions by collecting data from several focal planes, then creating a 3D, real-time depth map.
- The subject-tracking focusing system also supports face, eye, head, body, and animal recognition. The autofocus will automatically switch from body recognition to face, then eye recognition as the subject approaches the camera for improved sharpness.
- The Focus Limiter, Manual Focus Assist and an updated joystick enable quick and precise focusing. Zone AF is a less obstructive overlay, and Face Priority in Multi Metering prevents unwanted exposure changes.
Professional-Grade High Bitrate Video: Limitless Latitude
- 5.7K 30p recording is supported in the high-quality Apple ProRes 422 HQ/ProRes 422 codecs for visually lossless, high bitrate footage well-suited for intense manipulation in post-production. ProRes 422 HQ/ProRes 422 is also supported in DCI 4K and FHD at up to 60p.
- The GH6 supports unlimited recording up to DCI 4K at 60p with 4:2:2 10-bit sampling for pristine detail and depth in color grading.
Preserve 13+ Stops of Detail
- Shooting in V-Log and V-Gamut will give you 12+ stops of dynamic range, which can be increased to 13+ stops by activating its dual-analog gain circuits with Dynamic Range Boost Mode. One circuit using ISO 800 absorbs the richness of the visible spectrum while maintaining detail in the highlights, and ISO 2000 captures low-noise gradients of black in the shadows.
- The well-exposed picture is composited once passing through the Image Synthesis Dedicated Circuit. This makes it different from a dual-native design because you're not selecting one ISO or the other, but both are working in tandem. Dynamic Range Boost Mode is available for footage shot up to 60 fps.
Unlimited Recording Times
Panasonic created the GH6 without a maximum record time because it understands the value of shooting lengthy clips. The ability to record lengthy takes, such as interviews and live events, in their entirety lowers sync errors and streamlines data management. A fan-driven active cooling system that disperses heat away from the sensor makes this possible.
Intelligent Image Processing
By comparing three consecutive frames and automatically scrubbing the noise that appears in just one of the three, 3D noise reduction is accomplished. To reduce moiré patterns, intelligent detail processing smoothes out small details like hair and wires and does away with the need for a low-pass filter.
Flat Profile & Expansive Color Space
Edit with VariCam cameras for accurate colour reproduction, smooth transitions between dark and light areas, and seamless editing. The most amount of data is preserved by V-log and hybrid log gamma, giving your colorist a lot of freedom to sculpt the aesthetic with original LUTs. The GH6 is compatible with both.CUBE and. Real-time VLT formats for V-Log View Assist to approximation the final appearance of your deliverable.
Raw Recording via HDMI
When recording to Atomos Ninja V and V+ external recorders in ProRes RAW, the GH6 now supports 12-bit raw video output in 5.7K, DCI 4K, and Anamorphic 5.8K and 4.4K formats via HDMI.
- Record open gate with the 4:3 sensor for 5.8K 30p 4:2:0 10-bit and 4.4K 60p 4:2:0 10-bit video.
- Store up to 10 anamorphic lenses on the GH6 for quick swaps and ready-to-view, desqueezed footage. Images can be desqueezed in cinescope size. Magnification rate is also selectable from 1.30x, 1.33x, 1.5x, 1.8x or 2.0x.
- The Image Stabilizer Anamorphic setting is ideal for using an anamorphic lens. To properly interpret the visual information for stabilization processing, select from 1.30x, 1.33x, 1.5x, 1.8x or 2.0x depending on the lens magnification.
Shooting in high frame rate (HFR) 4K will increase your frame rate to 120p, while shooting in 1080p will give you 240p. If you don't need a scratch track, use the 10-bit FHD, 300 fps variable frame rate (VFR) footage to stop time. Up to 200 frames per second of recording are possible while autofocus is still actively usable.
When recording live events that last longer than an hour, simultaneous internal and external recording via the HDMI port expands your options for redundancy and storage. Record at bit depths up to 4:2:2, 10-bit resolutions up to DCI 4K in 17:9, frame rates up to 60p, 50p, 30p, 25p, and 24p.
Enhanced audio features enable high quality audio recording. The GH6 is always ready to capture 48kHz 24-bit with built-in mic. Boost that to 96kHz 24-bit with an external mic. For recording interviews with multiple mics, HDMI will output 4-channels of audio data.
Scopes & Assists
- The Wave Form Monitor, Vector Scope, and Luminance Spot Meter feed you vital information about your levels
- Time lapse video interval capture is customizable for both shooting and playback durations, complete with exposure smoothing
- Focus Transition, Frame Indicator, and Frame Marker improve the workflow in both production and post-production
- Safety Zone Marker, Vertical Position Information, Center Marker Options, and Enlarged Live Display help keep your action properly oriented, centered, and in focus
Though Lumix is known for stellar video production, it excels as a hybrid camera with its 100MP stills, a wide dynamic range, 7.5 stops of dual image stabilization, and continuous shooting up to 75 fps with an electronic shutter. 100MP Shots
Image stabilization technology enables 8 consecutive stills to be synthesized into one high-resolution, 100MP image without the use of a tripod. Dynamic Range Boost Mode is automatically engaged in all photo modes. Clean Details in Low Light
Details are retained and color noise is reduced, even when shooting in dimly lit conditions that require high ISO. When conditions are less-than-ideal, 2D noise reduction gives your photos a more natural and three-dimensional quality. Shutter Flexibility
Manually select between several shutter modes depending on your needs: a mechanical shutter type, electronic front curtain type, electronic shutter type, electronic shutter type with noise reduction after shooting at a slow shutter speed, or let the camera automatically switch the shutter type depending on the conditions and shutter speed. Rapid-Fire for Three Seconds
Achieve 75 fps burst shooting (AFS, electronic shutter) while maintaining 25.2 megapixels due to the faster readout speed of the GH6 sensor and the superior processing power of the new Venus Engine. The high sensor readout speed reduces rolling shutter distortion. Shoot 75 fps with an electronic shutter and AFS or 14 fps with a mechanical shutter and AFS. With AFC, you can shoot at up to 8 fps with a mechanical shutter or 7 fps with an electronic shutter. Ready-to-Share
- Several picture profiles are included to save time editing, including L. Classic Neo, a film-like effect with a nostalgic, soft coloring. L. Monochrome S is a black and white effect with a gentle touch suited to portraits. Cinelike modes have a film-like finishing touch using a gamma curve to prioritize dynamic range or contrast.
- For professional control, V-Log's flat profile is available when taking stills. Manually adjust the contrast, saturation and sharpness and save it as My Photo Style 1-10 for a detailed profile down to the ISO and white balance.
Professional and Reliable Design
The free-angle 3.0-inch 1.84m-dot LCD screen tilts toward the shooter, enabling high- and low-angle shots, as well as positions in tight corners that would otherwise be extremely difficult to properly frame and focus your camera. It is high contrast, high brightness, and high visibility even under strong sunlight. Its intuitive design uses static touch control and has an improved locking mechanism for easier use. Intelligent Eyepiece
The 3.68m-dot OLED Live Viewfinder has a 0.76x-equivalent magnification for bright, realistic eye-level monitoring. CFexpress Type B & SD
The dual card slot provides options dependent on the bitrate of your shoot. The CFexpress Type B slot is necessary to record higher bitrate formats like Apple Pro Res 422 HQ and 800 Mb/s 4:2:2 10-bit ALL-Intra footage. The SD card slot records bitrates up to 600 Mb/s when using high performance UHS-II U3 Class 10 SD cards. SSD Recording Over USB
Both video and stills can be recorded and played back using an external SSD when connected via the USB-C port. This enables saving to larger capacity drives and working with media that's immediately compatible with most post-production workflows. Danger: High Voltage
The GH6 takes DMW-BLK22 lithium-ion battery and provides approximately 360 shots per charge. Weatherproof Below Freezing
The body of the GH6 is engineered to keep out precipitation and dust down to 14°F. Despite its sealed design, heat dispersal is attained through an electric fan, heat sink, and frame that radiates heat away from the sensor, engine, and memory card. Ergonomic Optimization
- Spend less time rummaging through digital menus by using its dual ring selectors find your preferred shooting mode. The design of the camera incorporates dedicated buttons for key features like the zoomed-in manual focus assist box and audio information button for quick adjustments of the levels.
- An additional video record button on the face of the GH6 is more accessible when mounted on a shoulder rig. The camera is designed to be as small and lightweight as possible, increasing its compatibility with motorized gimbals and commercial drones (available separately).
Wireless & Remote Control
- To expand the flexibility of data transfers and remote control, wireless options are built into the design. Wi-Fi 5GHz and Bluetooth v5.0 enable the transfer of photos and footage to a cell phone, which can then be beamed to a news station. Updating the camera's firmware can be accomplished wirelessly via a smartphone.
- Remotely control up to 12 GH6 cameras via and LUMIX Tether app via USB. Adjust settings like the metering mode, recording quality, and focus mode, then transfer the footage to the computer after recording. When prepping those cameras, save time and reduce errors by using the Lumix SYNC app to wirelessly match the recording settings.
- This camera provides options to connect to external devices. The USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-C enables data transfers of 10Gb/s, powers the camera, or charges the battery. The HDMI Type-A port feeds the footage to an external recorder, or the hot shoe mount connects to an XLR expansion device like the DMW-XLR1 (available separately).
- A 3.5mm headphone jack is located on the side of the camera, above the 3.5mm headphone jack. On the front of the camera, a flash synchro socket doubles as a timecode in/out when using the included BNC converter cable.
Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 12-60mm f/2.8-4 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Lens
The Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 12-60mm f/2.8-4 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Lens is a 24-120mm equivalent zoom made for Micro Four Thirds cameras, covering a useful wide-angle to short telephoto range. This adaptable lens, created in partnership with Leica, uses two extra-low dispersion elements and four aspherical elements to produce sharp, well-corrected images that are free of colour fringing and distortions. The POWER Optical Image Stabilizer system works to reduce the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting. The lens also uses a linear motor for quick, quiet, and precise autofocus performance. The lens is also splash, dust, and freezeproof thanks to the sturdy metal body, making it suitable for use in challenging environmental conditions.
- Standard zoom for Micro Four Thirds mirrorless cameras, this lens provides a 24-120mm equivalent focal length range.
- Four aspherical elements and two extra-low dispersion elements contribute to minimizing chromatic and spherical aberrations and various distortions in order to produce a high degree of clarity, sharpness, and color accuracy.
- Linear autofocus motor delivers fast AF performance that is also precise, smooth, and near-silent to benefit both stills and video applications.
- POWER Optical Image Stabilizer minimizes the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting, and also supports the Dual I.S. function for increased stabilization performance.
- Splash, dust, and freezeproof design benefits working in inclement weather conditions.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a smooth and pleasing bokeh quality.
Panasonic DMW-BLK22 Lithium-Ion Battery (7.2V, 2200mAh)
Power select Panasonic cameras with the DMW-BLK22 rechargeable lithium-ion battery. This 2200mAh-capacity, 7.2V battery can be charged with the optional DMW-BTC15 or inside the camera via USB.