The Panasonic Lumix S1H is a full-frame mirrorless camera with a serious penchant for video. It stands out for its impressive video capabilities, but it also offers noteworthy flexibility to suit multimedia applications and an especially robust design. With a wide 14-stop dynamic range, sensitivity from ISO 100-51200, and skillful processing to realise high colour accuracy, responsive recording, and a wide range of video capabilities, the full-frame 24.2MP CMOS sensor offers versatile performance to suit both video and stills. In addition to DCI and UHD 4K60p settings with internal 4:2:2 10-bit sampling or external raw recording capabilities with a compatible recorder, 3:2-format 6K24p video recording is supported using almost the entire sensor, along with 16:9 5.9K30p and both DCI and UHD 4K60p settings. The S1H, which was designed with inspiration from broadcast cameras, also uses an updated sensor to offer Dual Native ISO settings that prioritise either low noise or low sensitivity in order to produce imagery with improved colour fidelity and less noise. Using slow and fast motion effects is also possible with variable frame rate (VFR) recording, and 10-bit sampling is supported with high frame rate (HFR) settings. In order to record with more detail and to aid colour grading in post-production, V-Log has also been pre-installed, and a Hybrid Log Gamma is also available.
The S1H offers a respectable 9 frames per second with AF-S or 6 frames per second with AF-C for still photography. When 24MP isn't quite enough, a specialised High Resolution mode can be used to compositor sequential shots together to increase the effective resolution to 96MP. A 225-area Depth from Defocus (DFD) contrast-detection autofocus system that achieves quick and precise focusing and subject tracking is also advantageous for stills and video. Additionally, for sharper handheld shooting, sensor-shift image stabilisation reduces the appearance of camera shake by 6 stops.
Beyond its imaging capabilities, the S1H is distinguished by its body design, which includes a 3.2-inch OLED electronic viewfinder with an impressively high resolution of 5.76 million dots "Tilt-free touchscreen LCD with 2.33 million dots. Weather-sealed to allow operation in inclement weather, the magnesium alloy body has a 1.8 "top status LCD for instantly reviewing shooting settings. Flexible storage options are provided by dual SD memory card slots, and Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity allow for wireless image transfer to tablets and smartphones as well as remote camera control.
24.2MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor and Venus Engine
The S1H's imaging capabilities have been enhanced for high sensitivity, a wide 14-stop dynamic range, and flexible recording modes. It has a full-frame 24.2MP CMOS sensor and an updated Venus Engine. Multipixel Luminance Generation and Intelligent Detail Processing technologies, which are incorporated into the sensor and processor, help to produce high resolution and definition by reducing colour moiré. Color Control further improves colour reproduction, particularly in the highlights and shadows. The processing power of the Venus Engine also contributes to reducing noise levels across the ISO 100–51200 sensitivity range and enabling quick full-resolution continuous shooting speeds of up to 9 fps with AF-S or 6 fps with AF-C, for more than 60 consecutive raw files.
- The S1H, which is designed for video applications, stands out for its capacity to record 5.9K (5888 x 3312) video at 29.97p in 16:9 and 10-bit 6K (5952 x 3968) video at 24.00 in 3:2 format using almost the entire full-frame sensor. Internal 4:2:2 10-bit sampling is possible when recording DCI and UHD 4K video at frame rates up to 29.97p, and when using the Super 35mm area of the sensor, frame rates up to 59.94p are possible. Additionally supported are recording settings for Full HD and Anamorphic 4K at up to 119.88p and 48.00p, respectively.
- Dual Native ISO, which takes inspiration from Panasonic's broadcast line of video cameras, aids in achieving a balanced ratio of low noise and high sensitivity to better suit working in a variety of lighting conditions. A Low ISO circuit offers base sensitivities of ISO 100 for everyday use, ISO 640 when V-Log is used, ISO 400 when HLG is used, and ISO 200 when Cinelike D2/V2 is used. A Low Noise circuit offers base sensitivities of ISO 640 for everyday use, ISO 4000 when V-Log is used, ISO 2500 when HLG is used, and ISO 1250 when Cinelike D2/V2 is used.
- The S1H has two gamma settings designed to capture a wide dynamic range, optimising your recording for colour grading in post-production. On this camera, V-Log is pre-installed, and it is used to record a flat, neutral gamma curve suitable for grading. Hybrid Log Gamma and High Dynamic Range modes can also be used to record more detail in a scene's shadow and highlight areas. In order to provide a more gradable image, additional picture styles are available. These include Cinelike V and Cinelike D, as well as an in-camera LUT to facilitate monitoring.
- When used in conjunction with an Atomos recorder that is compatible, such as the Ninja V, raw output over HDMI in resolutions up to 5.9K at 29.97 fps or DCI 4K at 59.94 fps is now possible.
- The following formats are supported for simultaneous internal and external recording over HDMI: DCI/UHD 4K at 59.94p with 4:2:2 10-bit output and 4:2:0 10-bit internal, or DCI/UHD 4K at 29.97p/23.98p with 4:2:2 10-bit output and internal recording.
- From 30x to -7.5x, variable frame rate (VFR) adjustments can be used to create the appearance of slow and fast motion. Additionally supported are High Frame Rate (HFR) shooting in 4:2:0 10-bit, audio recording, and autofocus, allowing for the capture of Full HD video at 180p and DCI/UHD 4K at 59.94p.
- You can use an interval timer to capture scenes over time and create time lapse videos inside of your camera. You can then combine the still images into a 4K60p video with in-camera exposure smoothing.
- Selectable system frequencies of 59.94 Hz, 50 Hz, or 24 Hz are available and suitable for global use.
- It is possible to embed an SMPTE-compliant time code to make it simpler to sync footage from multiple cameras.
- Benchmarks for setting up camera settings can be colour bars and a 1 kHz test tone.
- Used in conjunction with other members of the L-Mount Alliance, the L lens mount is a versatile interface with a mount diameter of 51.6mm and a flange distance of 20mm for working with a broad range of optics.
- An impressive Real View Finder is a high-resolution 5.76m-dot OLED EVF offering a clear 0.78x configurable viewing magnification along with a smooth 60 fps or 120 fps changeable refresh rate, 0.005 sec lag, and 10,000:1 contrast ratio.
- Large 3.2" 2.33m-dot touchscreen LCD is a bright, clear, and intuitive means for live view shooting as well as playback and menu navigation. The screen features a unique tilt & free-angle design where it can tilt along the lens axis or can be flipped outward to the side and freely adjusted to suit working from more extreme high and low angles. Live View Boost is a dedicated viewing mode for working in low-light conditions, where the viewing sensitivity can be increased to aid in composing your image, and a Night Mode also benefits working in dark conditions by lowering the screen's backlight intensity and overlaying a red filter to better preserve night-adjusted vision.
- In addition to the rear LCD, a top 1.8" 303 x 230-dot status LCD can also be used for quickly reviewing shooting settings, even when the camera is powered off. Additionally, an enhanced graphical user interface can be optimized for video applications and include exposure settings such as shutter angle or shutter speed and ISO or gain, depending on application.
- Internal heat-dissipating fan helps prevent overheating and enables unlimited video recording times. The fan can be set to Auto 1, where the fan is initiated once a temperature rise is detected; Auto 2, where the fan is kept off for as long as possible to prioritize silence; Normal; and Slow.
- Durable, weather-sealed magnesium alloy construction is splash, dust, and freezeproof to accommodate working in harsh weather conditions and trying environments.
- Front and rear tally lamps can be used to visually indicate recording and standby settings for faster visual recognition by subjects and camera operators.
- Ergonomic design provides a large, comfortable right-hand grip along with easily accessible physical controls, an eight-way joystick, and a refined overall UI design for intuitive use. Additionally, illuminated buttons aid settings adjustment in low-light conditions and a lock lever prevents unwanted settings changes.
- Dual UHS-II-compatible SD memory card slots offer improved flexibility for image storage, allowing you to segregate raw and JPEG files to different cards, save duplicate files to both cards, or simply double your storage space with overflow recording.
- A USB Type-C port allows for fast file transferring as well as high-speed in-camera battery charging. Additionally, an HDMI Type-A port benefits video applications, a 2.5mm port can be used with the optional DMW-RS2 Remote Shutter, 3.5mm microphone and headphone jacks suit advanced audio recording needs, and a PC sync port can be used for wired flash synchronization.
- PC flash sync terminal doubles as a TC in/out socket and an included BNC conversion enables syncing time code settings with an external device for multi-camera setups.
- Optional XLR Microphone Adapter that provides XLR inputs and physical controls through a hot shoe connection.
- DMW-BLJ31 rechargeable lithium-ion battery is rated for approximately 400 shots per charge when working with the rear monitor, 380 shots per charge with the EVF, and 1150 shots per charge when Power Save LVF mode is on.
- High precision shutter mechanism offers a top mechanical speed of 1/8000 sec, a flash sync speed of 1/320 sec, and has been tested for approximately 400,000 actuations.
5-Axis Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization
Dual I.S. 2 combines the S1's 6 stop-rated 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilisation technology with lens-based 2-axis image stabilisation to compensate for a wider range of movement types and produce sharper, clearer imagery, helping to achieve the maximum sharpness when working handheld. O.I.S.-compatible Lumix lenses must be used with Dual I.S. 2. A camera shake of about 6.5 stops can be compensated for by this stabilisation system. You can manually decide whether to use the lens' optical stabilisation or the camera's sensor-shift image stabilisation when using adapted lenses. Additionally, Boost I.S., a digital image stabilisation feature designed specifically for video applications, helps to create a stable composition when recording from a fixed perspective.
DFD Autofocus System
With sensor and lens communication rates up to 480 fps, DFD (Depth-From-Defocus) technology enables accelerated autofocus performance by quickly calculating the distance to subjects and adjusting the focusing position in as little as 0.08 seconds. Subject type, colour, size, and motion vectors are used to intelligently lock-on to the moving subjects and ensure precise focus in this contrast-detection type focus method, which benefits both still and video recording modes as well as subject tracking applications. Face/eye detection capabilities make it simpler to photograph people when working with portrait subjects and prioritise focusing as precisely as on a subject's pupil. It is possible to modify the focusing sensitivity and speed to further enhance performance with particular subjects. Additionally, it has 225 AF zones, which offer superb control over the camera's focusing. A Low Light AF feature also supports working in low-light situations and allows accurate AF performance down to -6 EV.
Focus peaking, which highlights sharp contrast edges with a coloured outline to help you quickly identify your focus point, and Touch MF Assist, which enables touch-to-focus operation, are features that benefit manual focus operation. A custom selectable AF zone for Multi AF / Custom Multi AF and an AF Point Scope setting that temporarily magnifies the subject by 3x to 10x for focus position confirmation are additional AF features.
6K and 4K PHOTO
The S1H's video recording capabilities can be used to record continuous 3:2 or 4:3 8MP stills at a 60 or 30 fps shooting rate or 18MP stills at a 30 fps shooting rate using one of three available still shooting modes:
- Burst: This mode enables continuous recording, which makes it perfect for situations where you need a high frame rate to catch the best moment.
- Pre-Burst records images one second before and one second after pressing the shutter button, giving you 60 frames to choose from. This mode is great for situations where you're not sure when it's crucial to press the shutter button.
- Burst (S/S): This mode most closely resembles that of video recording. It enables you to playback your video, pause at the desired point, and then use the shutter button to select a frame from the video and save it as an individual 8 or 18MP frame.
Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
With little power consumption, Bluetooth Low Energy (4.2) maintains a connection between your smartphone or tablet and the camera. IEEE 802.11ac and b/g/n support is also available for more robust wireless activities for faster transmission, fluid remote control, and monitoring.
Lumix Sync, an iOS and Android app that pairs with the camera to enable remote shooting control and wireless image transfer using a smartphone or tablet, completes the camera's wireless connectivity.
Other Camera Features
- By using sensor-shift stabilization technology, the S1H features a High Resolution mode to capture and compile eight separate exposure to create a single 96MP raw or JPEG file. Suitable for static subjects and when working on a tripod, this mode creates a more highly detailed and color accurate image than a single shot alone can produce and produces an image with a 12000 x 8000-pixel resolution.
- HLG Photo mode offers increased dynamic range for improved detail in shadow and highlight regions of the image. When working in HLG Photo mode, images can be saved as an HSP file in either 4K or full resolution, in addition to JPEG and raw formats, for vivid playback on 4K televisions.
- In addition to conventional 3:2, 4:3, 1:1, and 16:9 ratios, photos can also be recorded in 65:24 and 2:1 panoramic formats.
- I.S. Status Scope helps to recognize the type of camera shake being caused by displaying an arrow in the viewfinder or on the rear LCD.
- Flicker Decrease automatically detects the frequency/flicker of artificial lighting and activates the shutter at peak brightness moments to render exposures with consistent exposure and color.
- Helping to contain bright highlights, Highlight Weighted Metering mode prioritizes highlight values when making an exposure metering in order to prevent scenes from blowing out.
- Offering more versatility than standard Auto White Balance (AWB), an AWBw setting will retain a reddish warm tint while AWBc offers a cooler, bluish tint.
- Lumix Tether enables wired, tethered shooting capabilities via USB connection between the camera and a computer. Aside from offering a larger live view preview, this application also permits remotely triggering the shutter, use of 6K and 4K Photo modes, and video recording start/stop.
- Photo Style modes: Standard, Vivid, Natural, Flat, Landscape, Portrait, Monochrome, L. Monochrome, L. Monochrome D, Cinelike D, Cinelike V, Like709, Standard (HLG), Monochrome (HLG), Like2100, and My Photo Style.