The Lumix S1R from Panasonic is a high-resolution entry into the full-frame mirrorless market that combines powerful and versatile imaging capabilities with a robust physical design. The S1R's full-frame 47.3MP MOS sensor, combined with a Venus Engine, produces detailed, high dynamic range still images in addition to 4K60p video recording. To achieve the greatest sharpness, the sensor's design does not include a conventional low-pass filter, and on-chip aspherical micro lenses enhance sensitivity, light condensation, and colour response. Along with a quick 9 fps continuous shooting rate, the sensor and processor also collaborate to achieve a top expanded sensitivity of ISO 51200. The image sensor also makes use of a sophisticated DFD contrast-detection autofocus system for quick and accurate focusing and subject tracking, enhancing both stills and video capabilities. For sharper handheld shooting, sensor-shift image stabilisation also reduces the appearance of camera shake by 5.5 stops.
Beyond its imaging capabilities, the S1R stands out for its body design, which includes a 3.2" 2.1m-dot triaxial tilt touchscreen LCD and an impressively high resolution 5.76m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder. The magnesium alloy body has a top status LCD for quickly reviewing shooting settings and is weather-sealed to allow operation in inclement weather. Flexible storage options are provided by CFexpress Type B/XQD and SD card slots, and Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity allow for wireless image transfer to tablets and smartphones in addition to remote camera control.
47.3MP Full-Frame MOS Sensor and Venus Engine
The S1R's imaging capabilities have been optimised for high-resolution recording along with notable sensitivity, a wide dynamic range, and flexible recording modes. It has a full-frame 47.3MP MOS sensor and an updated Venus Engine. In order to maintain the highest level of sharpness, the sensor's design does not include a low-pass filter. Additionally, on-chip microlenses have an aspherical design that enhances light condensation and encourages higher sensitivity, lower noise, and more precise rendering. For accurate colour response, an anti-reflective coating also aids in lowering surface reflections and flare. When combined with the processing power of the Venus Engine, noise levels are further reduced across the ISO 100–25600 sensitivity range, and processing capabilities further enable quick full-resolution continuous shooting speeds of up to 9 fps with AF-S or 6 fps with AF-C, for more than 40 consecutive raw files.
UHD 4K Video Recording
In addition to shooting still images, the S1R is a capable video camera that can record in up to UHD 4K60p with 4:2:0 8-bit colour and for as long as the memory card will allow. Additionally, 2x and 6x slower motion are available in the high-speed recording modes for UHD 4K60, with 30 fps playback, and Full HD 180 fps, with 30 fps playback. Additionally, an external microphone and headphones are supported via dedicated 3.5mm jacks, and recording to an optional external recorder is possible via the HDMI Type A port.
- Used in conjunction with other members of the L-Mount Alliance, the L lens mount is a versatile interface with a mount diameter of 51.6mm and a flange distance of 20mm for working with a broad range of optics.
- An impressive Real View Finder is a high-resolution 5.76m-dot OLED EVF offering a clear 0.78x configurable viewing magnification along with a smooth 60 fps or 120 fps changeable refresh rate, 0.005 sec lag, and 10,000:1 contrast ratio.
- Large 3.2" 2.1m-dot LCD is a bright, clear means for live view shooting as well as playback and menu navigation. The screen features a triaxial tilting design to suit working from high and low angles, even in the vertical shooting orientation, and its touchscreen design affords intuitive settings control. Live View Boost is a dedicated viewing mode for working in low-light conditions, where the viewing sensitivity can be increased to aid in composing your image, and a Night mode also benefits working in dark conditions by lowering the screen's backlight intensity.
- In addition to the rear LCD, a top status LCD can also be used for quickly reviewing shooting settings, even when the camera is powered off.
- Durable, weather-sealed magnesium-alloy construction is splash, dust, and freezeproof to accommodate working in harsh weather conditions and trying environments.
- Ergonomic design provides a large, comfortable right-hand grip along with easily accessible physical controls, an eight-way joystick, and a refined overall UI design for intuitive use. Additionally, illuminated buttons aid settings adjustment in low-light conditions and a lock lever prevents unwanted settings changes.
- Dual memory card slots-one CFexpress Type B/XQD slot and one SD UHS-II compatible slot-offer improved flexibility for image storage, allowing you to segregate raw and JPEG files to different cards, save duplicate files to both cards, or simply double your storage space with overflow recording.
- A USB Type-C port allows for fast file transferring as well as high-speed in-camera battery charging. Additionally, an HDMI Type A port benefits video applications, a 2.5mm port can be used with the optional DMW-RS2 Remote Shutter, 3.5mm microphone and headphone jacks suit advanced audio recording needs, and a PC sync port can be used for wired flash synchronization.
- DMW-BLJ31 rechargeable lithium-ion battery is rated for approximately 360-380 shots per charge when working with the rear monitor, 340-360 shots per charge with the EVF, and 1100-1150 shots per charge when Power Save LVF mode is on.
- High precision shutter mechanism offers a top mechanical speed of 1/8000 sec, a flash sync speed of 1/320 sec, and has been tested for approximately 400,000 actuations.
Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization
Dual I.S. 2 combines the 5.5 stop-rated 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilisation technology of the S1R with lens-based 2-axis image stabilisation to compensate for a wider range of movement types and produce sharper, clearer imagery when taking handheld photos. O.I.S.-compatible Lumix lenses must be used with Dual I.S. 2. The camera shake that can be compensated for by this stabilisation system is about 6 stops.
DFD Autofocus System
With sensor and lens communication rates up to 480 fps, DFD (Depth-From-Defocus) technology enables accelerated autofocus performance by quickly calculating the distance to subjects and adjusting the focusing position in as little as 0.08 seconds. Subject type, colour, size, and motion vectors are used to intelligently lock-on to the moving subjects and ensure precise focus in this contrast-detection type focus method, which benefits both still and video recording modes as well as subject tracking applications. Face/eye detection capabilities make it simpler to photograph people when working with portrait subjects and prioritise focusing as precisely as on a subject's pupil. It is possible to modify the focusing sensitivity and speed to further enhance performance with particular subjects. Additionally, it has 225 AF zones, which offer superb control over the camera's focusing. A Low Light AF feature also supports working in low-light situations and allows accurate AF performance down to -6 EV.
Focus peaking, which highlights sharp contrast edges with a coloured outline to help you quickly identify your focus point, and Touch MF Assist, which enables touch-to-focus operation, are features that benefit manual focus operation. A custom selectable AF zone for Multi AF / Custom Multi AF and an AF Point Scope setting that temporarily magnifies the subject by 3x to 10x for focus position confirmation are additional AF features.
6K and 4K PHOTO
Utilizing the S1R's video recording capabilities, a trio of still shooting modes are available for recording continuous 3:2 or 4:3 8MP stills at a 60 or 30 fps shooting rate or 18MP stills at a 30 fps shooting rate:
- Burst: This mode will allow you to continuously record, making it ideal for instances where you need a fast frame rate in order to capture the best moment.
- Pre-Burst: This mode is ideal for times when you're unsure of the critical moment to press the shutter button and will record images one second prior to and one second after pressing the shutter button in order to give you 60 frames to choose from.
- Burst (S/S): This mode most closely follows the video recording process, and allows you to playback your video, pause at the chosen moment, and use the shutter button to mark a chosen frame from the video and save it as a single 8 or 18MP frame.
Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
With very little power consumption, Bluetooth Low Energy (4.2) maintains a connection between your smartphone or tablet and the camera. IEEE 802.11ac and b/g/n support is also available for more robust wireless activities for faster transmission, fluid remote control, and monitoring.
Lumix Sync, an iOS and Android app that pairs with the camera to enable remote shooting control and wireless image transfer using a smartphone or tablet, completes the camera's wireless connectivity.
Other Camera Features
- By using sensor-shift stabilization technology, the S1R features a High Resolution mode to capture and compile eight separate exposure to create a single 187MP raw or JPEG file. Suitable for static subjects and when working on a tripod, this mode creates a more highly detailed and color accurate image than a single shot alone can produce and produces an image with a 16736 x 11168-pixel resolution.
- HLG Photo mode offers increased dynamic range for improved detail in shadow and highlight regions of the image. When working in HLG Photo mode, images can be saved as an HSP file in either 8K or 4K resolution, in addition to JPEG and raw formats, for vivid playback on televisions.
- In addition to conventional 3:2, 4:3, 1:1, and 16:9 ratios, photos can also be recorded in 65:24 and 2:1 panoramic formats.
- I.S. Status Scope helps to recognize the type of camera shake being caused by displaying an arrow in the viewfinder or on the rear LCD.
- Flicker Decrease automatically detects the frequency/flicker of artificial lighting and activates the shutter at peak brightness moments to render exposures with consistent exposure and color.
- Helping to contain bright highlights, Highlight Weighted Metering mode prioritizes highlight values when making an exposure metering in order to prevent scenes from blowing out.
- Offering more versatility than standard Auto White Balance (AWB), an AWBw setting will retain a reddish warm tint while AWBc offers a cooler, bluish tint.
- Lumix Tether enables wired, tethered shooting capabilities via USB connection between the camera and a computer. Aside from offering a larger live view preview, this application also permits remotely triggering the shutter, use of 6K and 4K Photo modes, and video recording start/stop.
- Photo Style modes: Standard, Vivid, Natural, Flat, Landscape, Portrait, Monochrome, L. Monochrome, L. Monochrome D, Cinelike D, Cinelike V, Like709, Standard (HLG), Monochrome (HLG), Like2100, and My Photo Style.
Panasonic Lumix S 24-105mm f/4 Macro O.I.S. Lens
The Lumix S 24-105mm f/4 Macro O.I.S. from Panasonic is a versatile zoom with a constant f/4 maximum aperture for L-mount mirrorless cameras, spanning a flexible wide-angle to short-telephoto range. To achieve a high level of sharpness, clarity, and colour accuracy with regard to its optical design, a number of low dispersion and aspherical elements are used to control a number of aberrations, colour fringing, and distortion. This zoom is exceptional due to its 1:2 maximum magnification ratio and 11.8" minimum focusing distance to accommodate working with close-up subjects, which balance its optical performance. Additionally, the lens has a weather-sealed construction for use in adverse conditions, and an optical image stabiliser helps to reduce the effects of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting.
- Standard 24-105mm zoom is designed for full-frame L-mount mirrorless cameras, however can also be used with APS-C models where it provides a 36-157.5mm equivalent focal length range.
- Constant f/4 maximum aperture maintains consistent illumination throughout the zoom range.
- Four aspherical elements, including two made from extra-low dispersion glass, help to minimize distortions and spherical aberrations throughout the zoom range in order to maintain edge-to-edge sharpness and illumination.
- One ultra extra-low dispersion element and two extra-low dispersion elements greatly reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing in order to produce a high degree of clarity and color accuracy.
- Macro design provides half life-size 1:2 magnification ratio and a minimum focusing distance of 11.8" for working with close-up subjects.
- Optical Image Stabilizer minimizes the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting, and also supports 5-Axis Dual I.S. 2 for increased stabilization performance.
- AF/MF switch permits quick changing between focusing modes and a zoom lock switch can be used to prevent the lens from extending when not in use.
- Splash, dust, and freezeproof design benefits working in inclement weather conditions down to -14°F.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.