The Nikon Zfc combines classic looks with modern performance. It has a stylish and sleek retro design, great image quality thanks to the Z mirrorless system's flexibility, and it's made for vlogging and other video applications.
The Zfc is a mirrorless DX-format camera with a 20.9MP CMOS sensor. It also has EXPEED 6 image processing, which lets it shoot up to 11 frames per second, record UHD 4K video at 30p, and be sensitive up to ISO 51200. Even though this camera looks old-fashioned, it has been updated for modern content creation. It has a touchscreen LCD that can be moved in any direction, supports live streaming, works with external microphones, and has an advanced 209-point AF system with full-time subject tracking and eye-detection AF.
Focusing on the way it looks, the Zfc is a clear nod to Nikon's classic SLR film cameras. It has dials on the body for adjusting ISO, shutter speed, and exposure compensation, as well as other familiar controls. The body also has an OLED EVF with 2.36 million dots and SnapBridge wireless connectivity for pairing with a mobile device to control the camera from afar. The Zfc is also good for on-location shoots and longer takes because it has a USB C port that lets you charge the battery inside the camera and get power while you're out and about.
20.9MP DX-Format CMOS Sensor and EXPEED 6 Image Processor
The DX-format 20.9MP CMOS sensor is paired with the EXPEED 6 image processor to provide a versatile mixture of high sensitivity, nuanced image quality, and fast overall performance. At native values, a sensitivity range from ISO 100-51200 permits working in a broad array of lighting conditions, and can be further expanded up to ISO 204800 for extreme low-light conditions. The mixture of resolution and sensor size also contributes to clean image quality and smooth color transitions with reduced noise throughout the sensitivity range. In addition to benefitting image quality, the EXPEED 6 processor also affords a wealth of speed throughout the camera system, including a top full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 11 fps.
Besides imaging, the sensor's design also incorporates a 209-point hybrid autofocus system, which uses both phase-detection and contrast-detection methods to quickly and accurately acquire focus for both stills and video applications. This focusing system also supports Eye Detection AF, which uses facial recognition to help lock focus onto subjects' eyes.
UHD 4K Video Recording
The Zfc can record more than just stills. It can record UHD 4K video at up to 30 frames per second and Full HD video at up to 120 frames per second for slow-motion effects. It can also save movie files to the memory card in the camera. It is also possible to take time-lapse photos with the camera.
Heritage Design with Intuitive Functions
The shutter speed, ISO, and exposure compensation controls are all made of metal and are carved with great care. The auto mode, quick settings, and menu help guide are also easy to get to thanks to the intuitive functions.
Body Design and Connectivity
- A large 3" 1.04m-dot LCD screen is available for bright, clear, and vivid image playback and live view shooting. The screen has a vari-angle design, which benefits front-facing selfie captures, and it is also a touchscreen for more intuitive operation, navigation, and settings control.
- A 2.36m-dot electronic finder is present for comfortable eye-level viewing. It has a 1.02x magnification and uses NIKKOR optics to guarantee a sharp, clear image.
- A robust magnesium alloy chassis is both dust- and weather-resistant to benefit working in harsh climates and inclement conditions.
- Built-in SnapBridge connectivity to enable seamless transfer of low-resolution imagery as well as remote shooting capabilities. BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) and Wi-Fi enables communication between the camera and a smart device and, additionally, the mobile device can remotely trigger the shutter and display a live view image from the camera to enable working from a distance.
- Live streaming and web conferencing via separately purchased USB Type-C cable.
- 3.5mm stereo mini-pin jack provides plug-in power
- Included EN-EL25 rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides approximately 300 shots per charge.
- Compatible with NIKKOR Z lenses as well as F-mount lenses using the separately purchased FTZ Mount Adapter.
Nikon NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR Lens (Silver)
The Nikon NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR is a 24-75mm-equivalent zoom lens made for DX-format Z-mount mirrorless cameras. It is small and has a lot of uses. This lens is good for everyday shooting because it can zoom from a wide angle to a portrait length. Its optical design includes aspherical and extra-low dispersion elements, which help to reduce a number of aberrations for sharper, clearer images throughout the zoom range. A Super Integrated Coating has also been added to reduce ghosting and flare for better contrast and colour accuracy in bright and backlit conditions.
The lens has a wide range of focal lengths, and it also has Vibration Reduction image stabilisation, which makes handheld shots sharper by up to 4.5 stops by reducing the look of camera shake. A stepping motor allows for quick, quiet, and accurate autofocus, as well as full-time manual focus override, so it can be used for both stills and videos. Also, a programmable control ring can be set up to make changes to the camera and exposure settings easy to understand.
- The classic silver finish matches the retro-styled Z fc camera body.
- Standard zoom is designed for DX-format Nikon Z-mount mirrorless cameras and provides a 24-75mm equivalent focal length range.
- One extra-low dispersion element reduces color fringing and chromatic aberrations for improved clarity and color accuracy.
- Four aspherical elements minimize spherical aberrations and distortion throughout the zoom range for greater sharpness and accurate rendering.
- Super Integrated Coating suppresses flare and ghosting for improved contrast and color fidelity when working in strong lighting conditions.
- Stepping motor delivers impressively smooth, quiet, and fast autofocus performance that is well-suited to both stills and video applications. Full-time manual focus override is also possible and an internal focusing design is used, where only the internal lens groups are moved during focusing, to maintain the overall length of the lens during use and to promote faster focusing speeds.
- Vibration Reduction image stabilization minimizes the appearance of camera shake by up to 4.5 stops for sharper handheld shooting.
- Programmable Control Ring is, by default, set to adjust manual focus but can also be used to control aperture or exposure compensation.
- Specialized electromagnetic aperture mechanism provides greater exposure control stability that is especially beneficial when working with fast continuous shooting rates.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm promotes a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field techniques.