Sony a1 Mirrorless Camera: Alpha Flagship
The Sony a1 is the one camera that can do it all, making it a real flagship. This full-frame mirrorless camera was constructed without cutting corners and offers exceptional 8K video recording, great resolution for still photography, speed, sensitivity, and connection for the most demanding professional workflows.
Exmor RS Stacked Sensor and BIONZ XR Processor
50.1MP Full-Frame BSI CMOS Sensor and BIONZ XR
The newly created 50.1MP Exmor RS full-frame sensor has an integrated memory and a stacked back-illuminated design that maintains high image clarity, expandable sensitivity up to ISO 102400, and a 15-stop dynamic range. It also supports fast 30 fps shooting, phase-detection AF, and fast shutter speeds. The sensor also allows for the comparatively light-weight recording of lossless compressed raw files for flexible editing during post-production. Additionally, the 50.1MP resolution allows full-frame 8.6K oversampling for 8K video recording, which is beneficial for both stills and video photographers.
The entire camera system will benefit considerably from the updated BIONZ XR engine's improved image processing capabilities, which include up to 8x faster processing, significantly less rolling shutter, and faster file management handling.
Up to 30 fps Shooting and Updated Shutter
- When using an electronic shutter, efficient sensor design and processing enable high-speed shooting up to 30 fps at full 50.1MP resolution, with complete AF and AE capabilities. Even when using the mechanical shutter, speeds are kept high at 10 frames per second. Additionally, a huge buffer memory allows for the 30-frame-per-second recording of up to 155 compressed raw frames or 165 JPEGs in a single burst.
- A blackout-free viewfinder experience that uses a 240 fps refresh rate for fluid eye-level viewing is appropriate for rapid continuous shooting.
- Even while shooting at 30 frames per second with 120 frames per second AF rates, the updated electronic shutter provides silent, vibration-free operation and allows anti-flicker shooting for use in fluorescent, LED, or other flicker-prone forms of artificial light.
- Electronic shutter flash sync is now feasible up to 1/200 sec thanks to faster readout speeds. When using the upgraded mechanical shutter, which can sync at 1/400 sec in full-frame or 1/500 sec with an APS-C crop, even quicker flash sync speeds are also possible.
8K 30p and 4K 120p Support
- UHD 8K 30p XAVC HS 10-bit 4:2:2 video recording is enabled using the full width of the sensor, providing 8.6K oversampling for excellent sharpness and realism, thanks to the high-resolution sensor and quick processing capabilities. Low bit-rate proxy files with HD resolution can be recorded more quickly for playback to make this high-resolution recording option easier to handle. Additionally, 8K video can be transmitted over HDMI in 8-bit 4:2:0 format and written at 400 Mb/s to a V90-rated UHS-II SD card or 200 Mb/s to a V60 card.
- Frame rates up to 120p allow for recording in UHD 4K; the a1 applies a 10% reduction when recording at 120p but allows full pixel readout when recording in 60p. Additionally, with a Super 35 cut and a 5.8K capture area, oversampled 4K recording is conceivable. All recording modes additionally support internal 10-bit 4:2:2 sampling, and for even more versatility in post-production, 16-bit raw output from a 4.3K capture is also feasible when recording externally via the full-size HDMI A connector.
- The a1 uses two codecs to accommodate various workflows: XAVC S-I, an intraframe codec for consistent performance and quality at bitrates up to 600 Mb/s, and XAVC HS, which uses HEVC/H.265 encoding to maintain more information at lower bitrates.
- With the frame rate playback set to either 30p or 24p, or, if switching to Full HD resolution, an effective 240p frame rate is also available for even better motion control, high-speed, 120 fps recording also permits 4x and 5x slow-motion movie recording.
- The camera's physical design has a better heat-dissipating structure to support longer possible recording times, longer than 30 minutes for 8K 30p or 4K 60p films, or recordings done at 10-bit 4:2:0. There is no clip length restriction and there is no recording time limit.
Advanced Color Control
- Based on technology from the professional Cinema Line cameras, including the VENICE, S-Cinetone may be utilised to offer distinct colours and rendering of healthy-looking skin tones that is compatible with the FX9 and FX6 cameras. This colour profile provides soft colours, natural midtones, and particularly well-controlled highlights.
- You may change the gamma, black level, knee, colour level, and other parameters thanks to the extensive configurable colour and gamma settings offered by the. Additionally, for greater post-production versatility, users can use the S-Log2 Gamma Curve found on high-end Sony Cinema cameras, which can cram up to 1300% more dynamic range into the video signal than conventional REC709.
- In addition to BT.2020 colour space support, HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) support is now available for recording within a broad colour gamut. S-Log2 and S-Log3 are also available for producing a 15+-stop dynamic range with improved grading flexibility in the image's shadow to mid-tone regions.
Fast Hybrid AF System
- A Fast Hybrid AF system with a 92% coverage area uses 425 contrast-detection regions and 759 phase-detection points for rapid and accurate focusing in a variety of lighting situations with sensitivity down to -6 EV. This focusing mechanism is usable in all recording modes and is advantageous for both stills and video applications.
- Up to 120 AF and AE calculations may be completed per second thanks to quick sensor readout and enhanced processing, resulting in quicker, more responsive tracking and precise outcomes.
- Use Real-time Tracking for AI-based tracking on moving subjects to lock onto subjects rapidly, or touch tracking for manual subject selection.
- Real-time Eye AF, appropriate for both people and animals, also guarantees the crucial sharpness needed for taking portrait photos.
- Whether the bird is in flight or not, the camera will automatically identify and track the bird's eye when you use the exclusive Real-time Eye AF Bird Mode to pick the bird to be monitored. Even when a sitting bird takes flight, this mode still functions.
- Using the seven-step AF transition speed and five-step AF subject shift sensitivity controls, you may adjust how fast and seamlessly the focusing system transfers focus from one spot to another.
Body Design and Connectivity
Tru-Finder EVF and Tilting Touchscreen LCD
- The outstanding 9.44m-dot resolution and 0.9x magnification of the QXGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF provide extraordinarily bright, clear, and detailed eye-level viewing.
- The EVF's physical design includes a long 25mm eye point, 41° field of vision, and a fluorine coating on the outermost viewfinder element to aid in cleaning. It also has a dedicated 240 fps High Quality+ preset for smooth motion depiction.
- Working from high and low angles is facilitated with a 3.0" 1.44m-dot tilting screen. Additionally a touchscreen, this LCD allows for simple menu and shooting control.
- The updated menu structure is more user-friendly and supports having alternative processes and configuration options for taking still photos and movies. The rear LCD's touchscreen design and the menu system are complementary.
Versatile and Durable Design
- Both CFexpress Type A and SD-type memory cards can fit into the dual memory card slots. The dual slot design enables versatile file handling and saving, and it can be set up to divide different file types or to record overflow data. Additionally, for quicker transfer speeds, both of the card slots are certified to accommodate UHS-II memory cards.
- Accepts the NP-FZ100 high-capacity rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which offers 530 shots/95 minutes of recording time when using the rear LCD or about 430 shots/90 minutes while using the viewfinder.
- Five different types of camera shake that occur when taking still photos and videos with a handheld camera are compensated for by the improved 5.5-stop effective 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilisation system. There is also an Active IS mode, designed exclusively for video, which adds even more accurate stabilisation techniques for even smoother footage right out of the camera.
- While yet being lightweight, magnesium alloy chassis ensure rigidity, longevity, and stability. Additionally, the grip hardness has been increased for more comfortable hand-holding, and the lens mount has been enhanced to better support heavier lenses.
- For dependable operation in inclement weather, extensive weather-sealing has been used, including improved sealing around the battery cover, terminal cover, and chassis joints.
Ports and Interface
- Full-size HDMI A port offers a more reliable connection when working with external recorders.
- A USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C port has been added, in addition to a micro-USB port, for faster, more reliable tethering support. The USB Type-C connection allows the camera to be charged or powered from the host power source while connected.
- PC sync terminal for wired flash sync with strobe packs or wireless radio remotes.
- Both 3.5mm headphone and external microphone ports facilitate greater control over audio recording.
- Multi Interface Shoe supports working with the optional ECM-B1M Shotgun Microphone or XLR-K3M XLR Adapter Kit, which provide improved, clear audio recording sound by sending a digital audio signal to the camera, opposed to an analog signal.
- Ethernet port supports 1000BASE-T wired LAN connection for transferring files over FTP.
- Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC enables the a1 to instantly share imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online, and support for both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands also enables wireless tethered shooting support. Also, the 5 GHz band supports 2x2 MIMO for fast communication speeds and dual antennas ensure a reliable connection.
- Bluetooth connectivity allows for location data acquisition.
- Ethernet port offers up to 1000BASE-T speeds for quick wired LAN sharing and remote operation.
- When working over a wired LAN, the Remote Camera Tool 2.1 app now has been enhanced for a reduced release time lag and live view delays as well as support for remote SD card formatting, FTP server switching, and changes to the still image storage destination. Wired or wireless LAN transfers can also occur in the background, while continuing to shoot.
- Imaging Edge Remote for desktop supports PC Remote shooting via the Wi-Fi connection or tethered by the wired USB Type-C port. An updated data transfer control also makes it possible to transfer files from an SD card over Wi-Fi using the Imaging Edge Mobile app even when the camera is powered off.
- Transfer & Tagging add-on app can send FTP setting parameters from your mobile device to the camera, offers automatic data upload to an FTP server with attached metadata, and can perform automatic voice-to-text conversion.
Pixel Shift Multi Shooting
Even higher resolutions than those provided by the 50.1MP sensor are possible with this special compositing mode. This mode shifts the sensor while taking 16 successive exposures in order to gather roughly 199MP of information for higher colour accuracy and detail than is feasible with a single exposure. It works in conjunction with the sensor-shift image stabilisation. The Sony Imaging software suite can then be used to combine these files during post-production.
- 50MP Full-Frame Exmor RS BSI CMOS Sensor
- Up to 30 fps Shooting, ISO 50-102400
- 8K 30p and 4K 120p Video in 10-Bit
- 4.3K 16-Bit Raw Video Output, S-Cinetone
- 9.44m-Dot EVF with 240 fps Refresh Rate
- 759-Pt. Fast Hybrid AF, Real-time Eye AF
- 5-Axis SteadyShot Image Stabilization
- Dual Drive Mech. Shutter, 1/400 Sec Sync
- 5 GHz MIMO Wi-Fi, 1000BASE-T Ethernet
- Dual CFexpress Type A/SD Card Slots
- Sony a1 Mirrorless Camera
- Sony NP-FZ100 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery (2280mAh)
- Sony BC-QZ1 Battery Charger
- Sony ALC-B1EM Body Cap for E-Mount Cameras
- USB Type-C to Type-A Cable
- Cable Protector
- Shoulder Strap
- Accessory Shoe Cap
- Eyepiece Cup