Sony a7 III Mirrorless Camera: Well-Rounded Perfection
The Sony a7 III is a versatile camera with an improved sensor design that makes it appropriate for photo and video applications in a range of professional settings. New 24.2MP Exmor R BSI CMOS sensor and BIONZ X processor benefit image quality, video capabilities, and AF performance. They have been optimised for speed and low-light performance. Along with a redesigned touchscreen LCD, an enhanced EVF, a bigger battery, and two memory card slots, the a7 III also features an updated body design
Full-Frame BSI Sensor and BIONZ X Processor
The full-frame 24.2-megapixel Exmor R CMOS sensor, which has a back-illuminated design, works with the BIONZ X image engine to provide high-resolution stills and video while reducing noise and enhancing speed. For the creation of 14-bit, high-resolution stills with a native sensitivity range from ISO 100-51200, which can be subsequently enhanced to ISO 50-204800, the BSI design also significantly enhances data transfer speed. Additionally, it offers full-frame full-HD 4K internal video recording with a wide dynamic range. In order to achieve faster processing times and the capacity to capture an astounding 15-stop dynamic range at low sensitivity values, the BIONZ X processor additionally collaborates with a high-speed front-end LSI.
When using either a mechanical shutter or an electronic shutter, the sensor and processor combination also allows for quick continuous shooting at up to 10 fps at full resolution, for up to 177 consecutive frames, and with full-time AF/AE. A continuous shooting rate of up to 8 fps is also feasible when shooting in live view mode.
UHD 4K Video Recording in XAVC S Format
Full pixel readout is also feasible for higher quality imagery with less moiré and aliasing. Internal recording of UHD 4K movies is possible in several frame rates up to 30 fps and uses 2.4x oversampling, which renders greater detail. The 100 Mb/s XAVC S format, which is wrapped in an MP4 file with 4:2:0 sampling, is used for both 4K and FHD resolutions. Full HD 1080p recording is also supported at frame rates up to 120 fps.
With the frame rate set to either 30p or 24p, the high-speed, 120 fps recording also allows for 4x and 5x slow-motion movie recording. Uncompressed HDMI output permits the use of an optional external recorder for clear 4K recording with 4:2:2 sampling in addition to high-resolution internal recording.
S-Log3, HLG, and Other Color and Gamma Controls
The a7 III offers consumers a wide range of configurable colour and gamma parameters, allowing them to change the gamma, black level, knee, colour level, and more. For greater post-production versatility, shooters can use the S-Log2 Gamma Curve found on high-end Sony Cinema cameras, which can cram up to 1300% more dynamic range into the video output than conventional REC709.
In addition to BT.2020 colour space and HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) support, S-Log2 and S-Log3 are also supported, allowing for the production of an effective 14-stop dynamic range with improved grading flexibility in the shadow to mid-tone areas of the image.
Autofocus and Image Stabilization
Fast Hybrid AF System
For dependable and speedy autofocus and subject tracking performance, an upgraded 4D FOCUS system now uses a combination of 693 phase-detection points, which account for around 93% of the frame, and 425 contrast-detection regions. In comparison to earlier a7 models, its Fast Hybrid AF System now delivers twice the focusing speed, more stable tracking, and enhanced low-light focusing.
- Lock-on AF maintains focus on moving subjects through the use of a configurable frame that is set over the desired moving subject
- Expand Flexible Spot employs neighboring focus points to retain focus on moving subjects even if the originally selected point loses focus
- Eye AF can be used to base focus on recognized subjects' eyes for portraits and is available in both AF-S and AF-C modes
- Focus Magnifier function can be used for critical focus when homing in on minute subject details
- Rear touchscreen can also be used for Touch Focus control and a Touchpad Focus Control mode lets you use the rear screen intuitively while keeping your eye to the viewfinder
5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Image Stabilization
The powerful a7 III is equipped with a 5-stop effective 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilisation system that corrects for five different types of camera shake that can occur when taking still photos and videos with a handheld camera. This makes it possible for users to utilise any lens—even modified lenses—confidently for important imagery without worrying about blur from camera shake.
The technology will make pitch and yaw corrections for long focal lengths. On the other hand, the incorporation of horizontal and vertical shift compensation will be advantageous for macro and high-magnification pictures. The roll compensation will be useful for all shooting techniques. Even when utilised with third-party lenses and adapters or lenses with built-in optical stabilisation, all 5 axes of stabilisation will always be in operation.
Body Design and Connectivity
- The XGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF features a 2.36m-dot resolution and 0.78x magnification for bright, clear viewing in high detail.
- In addition to the EVF, a 3.0" 922k-dot rear LCD is also available, which has a touch panel design for intuitive operation and focusing control. The screen also tilts upward 107° and downward 41° to benefit working from high and low angles.
- Magnesium-alloy chassis assures rigidity, durability, and stability while remaining lightweight. The lens mount has also been improved to better support heavy lenses and the grip rigidity has been improved for more comfortable hand-holding.
- Weather-sealing has been employed to resist dust and moisture for reliable operation in harsh weather conditions.
- Using the NP-FZ100 battery, the a7 III has improved battery life and is now rated for approximately 710 shots per charge. Dual SD memory card slots allow for flexible file saving and handling, and can be configured to partition raw and JPEG files or can be used for overflow recording. One of the card slots is rated to support UHS-II memory cards.
- A USB 3.0 Type-C port has been added, in addition to a micro-USB port, for faster, more reliable tethering support. The USB Type-C connection allows the camera to be charged from the host power source while connected.
- Built-in Wi-Fi enables the a7 III to instantly share imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online to social networking, via email, and to cloud storage sites.
- NFC (Near Field Communication) is also supported, which allows for one-touch connection between the camera and compatible mobile devices; no complex set-up is required. Once connected, the linked mobile device can also display a live view image on its screen and remotely control the camera's shutter.
- Bluetooth connectivity allows for location data acquisition.