Sony a7 IV Mirrorless Camera: Beyond Basic
The Sony a7 IV is a versatile camera with above-average capabilities that excels in both stills and video. The a7 IV is a cutting-edge hybrid mirrorless camera that appeals to photographers for its resolution and AF performance as well as filmmakers and content producers for its capable 4K 60p video recording.
Sensor and Processor
33MP Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor
A back-illuminated design on the newly created 33MP Exmor R full-frame sensor fosters exceptional clarity, low noise, and vibrant colour rendering. This shape makes it easier to work in low light and pairs well with a wide sensitivity range of ISO 100-51200. The sensor's design also produces data that may be recorded in raw, JPEG, or the 10-bit HEIF format, and it delivers an outstanding dynamic range of about 15 stops.
BIONZ XR Processor
High-speed image processing capabilities are provided for quick continuous shooting, 4K video recording, and enhanced AF tracking performance using the flagship-class BIONZ XR engine.
4K 60p Video Recording in 10-Bit
- Making full use of the high-resolution 33MP sensor and fast processing capabilities, UHD 4K 30p XAVC HS 10-bit recording is possible using the full width of the sensor, offering 7K oversampling for impressive sharpness and realism.
- There is also oversampled 4K recording, via a 4.6K capture area, with a Super 35 crop, that offers UHD 4K output up to 60p in 10-bit.
- No recording time limit allows for unlimited clip lengths and the camera's physical design features an improved heat-dissipating structure to promote longer possible recording times; longer than one hour of continuous 4K 60p 10-bit 4:2:2 recording, for example.
S-Cinetone, S-Log3, and Other Color and Gamma Controls
- S-Cinetone can be used to deliver distinct colors and healthy-looking skin tone rendering that matches the FX9 and FX6 cameras, along with the a1 and a7S III, and is based on technology from the professional Cinema Line cameras, such as the VENICE.
- HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) support permits recording within a wide color gamut for producing HDR-ready content directly from the camera.
- S-Log3 is also available for producing a 15+-stop dynamic range with increased grading control in the shadow to mid-tone regions of the image.
Fast Hybrid AF System
AI-Based Autofocus - A Fast Hybrid AF system with 759 phase-detection points that cover over 94% of the image area enables quick and accurate focusing in a range of lighting conditions with sensitivity as low as -4 EV.
Real-time Tracking and Real-time Eye AF
Borrowing from the flagship AF system, the a7 IV has tuned tracking and subject detection capabilities that lock onto subjects quickly and refines focus accurately on recognized eyes and faces of subjects:
- Real-time Tracking is an AI-based subject recognition system that recognizes color, pattern, and subject distance information for high accuracy and focusing speed.
- Beyond just tracking subjects, Real-time Eye AF fine-tunes the focusing accuracy and recognizes human, animal, and bird's eyes for critical sharpness. Real-time Eye AF even maintains focus on a subject's eye when they leave and re-enter the frame, allowing for working in more spontaneous shooting situations.
AF During Video Recording and Additional Focusing Modes
- Real-time Eye AF is fully supported during video recording, for subject detection and tracking of human, animal, and bird eyes while shooting.
- For more control over how focus shifts appear during recording, seven-step AF transition speeds and five-step AF subject shift sensitivity controls let you refine how quickly focus shifts from point to point and how smoothly focusing shifts occur.
- Focus Map is a unique way of visualizing depth of field and functions in a similar way to peaking with a colorful overlay of the scene that indicates which parts of the scene are in front of and behind the focus point depending on the chosen aperture.
- A feature carried over from the FX6 digital cine camera, AF Assist lets you intuitively switch over to manual focus control for adjusting focus position when working with AF. This is a quick way to shift selective focus between various subjects in a scene while recording.
- A unique solution to compensate for how certain lenses perform when racking focus, Focus Breathing compensation will automatically smooth focus transitions and maintain a consistent field of view when changing the focus position during a shot. This mode crops into the image slightly and corrects for any detected shifts in composition when focusing is happening. This function is compatible with select E-mount lenses
Body Design, Connectivity, and Streaming
Viewfinder and LCD Screen
- An improved QVGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF features a 3.68m-dot resolution that is approximately 1.6x higher in resolution than its predecessor for sharper, clearer viewing. This viewfinder supports both standard 60 fps and 120 fps frame rates for smooth motion rendering and its physical design has a long 23mm eye point, 0.78x-magnification, and 37.3° field of view.
- Perfect for vlogging or other self-recording needs, the side-opening 3.0" 1.03m-dot vari-angle articulating screen can be used in a front-facing orientation or can be tilted up or down to suit working from high or low shooting angles. This LCD is a touchscreen, too, for intuitive shooting control and menu navigation.
Ports and Interface
- Full-size HDMI A port offers a more reliable connection when working with external recorders.
- A USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C port has been added, in addition to a micro-USB port, for faster, more reliable tethering support. The USB Type-C connection allows the camera to be charged or powered from the host power source while connected.
- Both 3.5mm headphone and external microphone ports facilitate greater control over audio recording.
- USB Type-C port can be paired with an optional Ethernet wired LAN adapter to provide 1000BASE-T connectivity, wired remote shooting, or FTP transferring.
5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Image Stabilization
- Enhanced 5.5-stop effective 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilization system compensates for five different types of camera shake encountered during handheld shooting of stills and video and allows users to confidently use any lens
- For long focal lengths, the system will correct for pitch and yaw adjustments. All shooting styles will get usage out of the roll compensation. All 5 axes of stabilization will function at all times, even when used with third-party lenses and adapters or lenses with built-in optical stabilization.
Advanced External Flash Control
P-TTL flash metering is possible when using low, medium, or even high-speed continuous shooting modes, which is ideal for using flash when taking pictures of moving subjects. Working in varying light or low-light conditions is greatly benefited by this as it helps to maintain stable illumination when making low-light bursts. The updated flash control system supports adjusting specific flash and transmitter units directly from the camera's interface, uses the camera's AWB information for natural colour rendering, and aids in decreasing flash trigger lag.
Wireless Connectivity and Streaming
- Built-in Wi-Fi enables the remote camera control and instant sharing of imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online, and support for both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands also enables wireless tethered shooting support. This connectivity also provides remote camera control.
- Use of the Imaging Edge mobile app is benefitted by Bluetooth to maintain a reliable connection between the camera and mobile device.
- Supports Visual Story for easy cloud-based deliver of photos and videos immediately after shooting.
- Live streaming is possible directly from the camera simply by connecting the camera to a computer or compatible mobile device via USB, allowing the camera's video and audio capabilities to be used for live social media and video conferencing.
- 4K 15p, FHD 60p/30p, and HD 30p recording settings are available and there are also internal Creative Look and Soft Skin effects for a refined image quality straight from the camera.
- Internal recording is supported to a memory card while live streaming.
- UVC and UAC standards are supported for improved picture and sound quality during streaming.
Sony FE 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Lens
A Versatile Standard
The Sony FE 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Lens is an excellent choice for users looking for a portable all-purpose zoom and is a great go-to for full-frame E-mount photographers. The lens's small size and portability make it perfect for daily walking around, and its flexible wide-angle to portrait-length range makes it suitable for working with a variety of subject types.
- One extra-low dispersion glass element is featured in the lens design to help reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing for improved clarity and color neutrality.
- Three aspherical elements are incorporated in the lens design to reduce astigmatism, field curvature, coma, and other monochromatic aberrations.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality when employing selective focus techniques.
Autofocus, Image Stabilization, and Design
- An internal focus mechanism and linear motor contribute to faster, more responsive system and easier handling.
- Optical SteadyShot image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake for sharper imagery when shooting handheld with slower shutter speeds. This stabilization system can be combined with select camera's sensor-shift type image stabilization for more effective control of camera blur.
- Dust- and moisture-sealed design better permits working in inclement conditions and rubberized control rings benefit handling in colder temperatures.