Sony a7C Mirrorless Camera: Compact and Capable
The black Sony a7C offers the hybrid recording capabilities, 24.2MP Exmor R BSI CMOS sensor, and intelligent AF performance you would expect from an Alpha camera but with a form factor for all-day, everyday carry. It combines the quality and benefits of a full-frame sensor with an especially sleek and portable design.
Exmor R Sensor, BIONZ X Processor, and 4D FOCUS
24.1MP Full-Frame BSI Sensor and Image Processing
The full-frame 24.2-megapixel Exmor R CMOS sensor, which has a back-illuminated design, works with the BIONZ X image processor to provide high-resolution stills and video while reducing noise and enhancing speed. To increase light collection and improve detail, this sensor structure works with a gapless on-chip lens design and an anti-reflection coating. Additionally, the copper wiring layer significantly accelerates data transmission for the production of 14-bit, high-resolution stills with a native sensitivity range of ISO 100-51200 and an additional ISO 50-204800 range.
Fast Continuous Shooting and Recording Versatility
With either a mechanical or electronic shutter, the sensor and processor combination allows for quick continuous shooting at up to 10 fps at full resolution, for approximately 115 consecutive raw files or consecutive JPEGs, and with full-time AF/AE.
Additionally, it enables full-frame full-HD 4K internal video recording with a wide dynamic range. In order to achieve faster processing times and the ability to capture an impressive 15-stop dynamic range at low sensitivity values, the BIONZ X processor also collaborates with a high-speed front-end LSI.
Fast Hybrid Autofocus
For quick and accurate focusing in a variety of lighting conditions with sensitivity down to -4 EV, a Fast Hybrid AF system with 693 phase-detection points and 425 contrast-detection areas covers the majority of the image area.
Use Real-time Tracking for AI-based tracking on moving subjects to lock onto subjects quickly, or touch tracking for manual subject selection.
Real-time Eye AF, appropriate for both people and animals, also guarantees the crucial sharpness needed when taking portrait photos.
Video Recording: UHD 4K Video Recording in XAVC S Format
- Internal recording of UHD 4K videos is possible in multiple frame rates up to 30 fps and using 2.4x oversampling renders greater detail and full pixel readout is possible for higher quality imagery with reduced moiré and aliasing.
- Full HD 1080p recording is also supported in frame rates up to 120 fps, and both 4K and UHD resolutions utilize the 100 Mb/s XAVC S format contained within an MP4 wrapper with 4:2:0 8-bit sampling.
- The high-speed, 120 fps recording also enables 4x and 5x slow-motion movie recording with the frame rate set to either 30p or 24p.
- In addition to high-resolution internal recording, uncompressed HDMI output also enables the use of an optional external recorder for clean 4K recording with 4:2:2 8-bit sampling.
S-Log3 and Other Color and Gamma Controls
Affording extensive customizable color and gamma controls, the a7C allows users to adjust the gamma, black level, knee, color level, and more:
- Use the same S-Log2 Gamma Curve that is found on high end Sony Cinema cameras that squeezes up to 1300% more dynamic range into the video signal then traditional REC709, for increased post-production flexibility.
- HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) support permits recording within a wide color gamut for producing HDR-ready content directly from the camera.
- S-Log3 is also available for producing a 15+-stop dynamic range with increased grading control in the shadow to mid-tone regions of the image.
5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Image Stabilization
Despite the a7C's slim profile, it has a 5-stop effective 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilisation system that reduces various types of camera shake that can occur when taking still photos and videos with a handheld camera. This makes it possible for users to use any lens—even modified lenses—confidently for important imaging without worrying about blur from camera shake.
The system will make pitch and yaw corrections for long focal lengths. On the other hand, the inclusion of horizontal and vertical shift compensation will be advantageous for macro and high-magnification imagery. The roll compensation will be useful for all shooting techniques. Even when used with third-party lenses and adapters or lenses with built-in optical stabilisation, all 5 stabilisation axes will always work.
Compact and Versatile Design
Integrated EVF and Vari-Angle LCD
- Compact and lightweight body design, along with a rangefinder-inspired layout, make the a7C a sleek and portable camera for everyday shooting. Compared to other a7-series cameras, the a7C is approximately 20% smaller and lighter, akin to the size of an APS-C-format camera.
- A 0.39"-type XGA OLED electronic viewfinder is featured and has a 2.36m-dot resolution and 0.59x magnification for bright, clear viewing in high detail.
- Rear 3.0" 921.6k-dot rear LCD features a side-open vari-angle design along to benefit working from high, low, and front-facing angles. It's also a touchscreen for intuitive control and playback.
- Magnesium-alloy chassis along with a weather-sealed design offers a durable overall construction for use in a variety of conditions.
- The large-capacity NP-FZ100 battery offers approximately 740 shots per charge when working with the rear LCD or 680 shots per charge when working with the EVF.
- Single SD memory card slot is rated to support UHS-II memory cards for fast transfer speeds.
Ports and Interface
- A USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C port offers for fast and reliable tethering support and also allows the camera to be charged from the host power source while connected.
- Multi Interface Shoe supports working with the optional ECM-B1M Shotgun Microphone or XLR-K3M XLR Adapter Kit, which provide improved, clear audio recording sound by sending a digital audio signal to the camera, opposed to an analog signal.
- Both 3.5mm microphone and headphone ports are available for greater audio recording control.
- Built-in Wi-Fi enables the a7C to instantly share imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online to social networking, via email, and to cloud storage sites. Support for both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz bands also enables wireless tethered shooting support.
- Bluetooth connectivity allows for location data acquisition.
- NFC (Near Field Communication) is also supported, which allows for one-touch connection between the camera and mobile device. Once connected, the linked mobile device can also display a live view image on its screen and remotely control the camera's shutter.