A New World of Photographic Expression
The Sony a7R IVA continues the impressive line of highly capable full-frame cameras, moving to an even higher resolution range, and is distinguished by impressive stills and video performance and versatility. The updated 61MP sensor, along with quicker processing, improved AF performance, and a more comprehensive feature set for both high-end photo and video applications, are all included in this fourth generation of the a7R.
Sensor and Processor
61MP Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor
The brand-new full-frame 61MP Exmor R CMOS sensor, which has a back-illuminated design, combines incredible resolution with high clarity, low noise, and a broad 15-stop dynamic range. In order to produce 14-bit, high-resolution 61MP stills with a native sensitivity range of ISO 100-32000, which can be further expanded to ISO 50-102400, the sensor's structure supports impressive image quality, and a copper wiring layer dramatically improves data transmission speed.
BIONZ X Image Processor
Rapid continuous shooting, 4K video recording, and sophisticated AF tracking are all made possible by the BIONZ X engine's high-speed image processing. For clear rendering of moving subjects, the quick processing also reduces rolling shutter and other motion distortions.
The sensor and processor enable up to 10 frames per second (10 fps) at full resolution for up to 68 consecutive shots with full-time AF/AE.
Pixel Shift Multi Shooting
You can achieve even higher resolution using this special compositing mode than what the 61MP sensor allows. This mode shifts the sensor while taking 16 successive exposures in order to acquire approximately 240.8MP of information for greater colour accuracy and detail than is possible with a single exposure, along with an impressive image size of 19,008 x 12,672-pixels. This mode works in conjunction with the sensor-shift image stabilisation. The Sony Imaging software suite can then be used to combine these files during post-production.
Fast Hybrid AF System
For dependable and quick autofocus and subject tracking performance, an updated Fast Hybrid AF system now uses a combination of 567 phase-detection points, which cover roughly 99.7% of the height and 74% of the width of the frame, along with 425 contrast-detection areas. Additionally, this focusing system achieves exceptionally fast speed and trustworthy tracking in addition to improved low-light focusing response down to -3 EV.
The apt focus system also lends itself to a variety of focusing functions for refined accuracy:
- Lock-on AF maintains focus on moving subjects throughout the use of a configurable frame that is set over the desired moving subject
- Expand Flexible Spot employs neighboring focus points to retain focus on moving subjects even if the originally selected point loses focus
- Eye AF can be used to base focus on recognized human subjects' eyes for portraits and is available in both AF-S and AF-C modes and for both stills and video. Eye AF can be used when photographing animal subjects, too, with any focusing mode when shooting stills.
- The Focus Magnifier function can be used for critical focus when homing in on minute subject details
- Rear touchscreen can be used for Touch Focus control and a Touchpad Focus Control mode lets you use the rear screen intuitively while keeping your eye to the viewfinder
UHD 4K Video Recording in XAVC S Format
- Internal recording of UHD 4K video is possible in multiple frame rates up to 30 fps using the full width of the sensor with 8-bit 4:2:0 color sampling using the 100Mbps XAVC S codec.
- Oversampled 4K recording is also possible, which uses a 6K capture area with a Super 35 crop for greater detail. This full pixel readout is void of pixel binning for higher quality imagery with reduced moiré and aliasing.
- Full HD 1080p recording is also supported in frame rates up to 120 fps. The high-speed, 120 fps recording also enables 4x and 5x Slow& Quick Motion (S&Q) movie recording with the frame rate set to either 30p or 24p.
- In addition to high-resolution internal recording, uncompressed HDMI output also enables the use of an optional external recorder for clean 4K recording with 4:2:2 sampling.
- 4K video recording also avails the ability to produce 8MP stills during playback by taking a frame grab from a movie and storing it as a separate file.
S-Log3 and HLG Color Control
- HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) support permits recording within a wide color gamut for producing HDR-ready content directly from the camera.
- S-Log3 is also available for producing a 14+-stop dynamic range with increased grading control in the shadow to mid-tone regions of the image.
Body Design and Connectivity
Viewfinder and LCD Screen
- Updated OLED Tru-Finder EVF has a 5.76m-dot resolution for bright, clear viewing in rich detail
- Dedicated High quality setting enables a 120 fps refresh rate for especially smooth playback of moving subjects.
- The 3.0" 2.36m-dot rear LCD has a touch panel design for intuitive operation and focusing control.
- Screen tilts upward 107° and downward 41° to benefit working from high and low angles.
Professional Body Design
- Magnesium alloy chassis assures rigidity, durability, and stability while remaining lightweight. The lens mount has also been improved to better support heavy lenses and the grip rigidity has been improved for more comfortable hand-holding.
- Extensive weather-sealing, including enhanced sealing around the battery cover, terminal cover, and chassis joints, has been employed to resist dust and moisture for reliable operation in harsh weather conditions.
- Using the same NP-FZ100 battery as its predecessor, the a7R IVA's battery life is rated for approximately 530 shots per charge with the EVF or 660 shots with the rear LCD.
- Dual SD memory card slots allow for flexible file saving and handling and can be configured to partition raw and JPEG files or can be used for overflow recording. Both of the card slots are rated to support UHS-II memory cards for faster transfer speeds.
Ports and Interface
- USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C port has been added, in addition to a micro-USB port, for faster, more reliable tethering support. The USB Type-C connection allows the camera to be charged from the host power source while connected.
- Updated Multi Interface Shoe supports working with the optional ECM-B1M Shotgun Microphone or XLR-K3M XLR Adapter Kit, which provide improved, clear audio recording sound by sending a digital audio signal to the camera, opposed to an analog signal.
- Both 3.5mm headphone and external microphone ports facilitate greater control over audio recording.
- HDMI micro (Type D) connector offers a clean signal out for working with optional external recorders.
- Integrated PC sync terminal for wired flash sync with strobe packs or wireless radio remotes.
- Built-in Wi-Fi enables the remote camera control and instant sharing of imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online, and support for both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands also enables wireless tethered shooting support. This connectivity also provides remote camera control.
- Use of the Imaging Edge mobile app is benefitted by Bluetooth to maintain a reliable connection between the camera and mobile device.
- Bluetooth connectivity also allows for location data acquisition.
5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Image Stabilization
A 5.5-stop effective 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilisation system, which compensates for five different types of camera shake experienced during handheld still and video shooting, is integrated into the sturdy a7R IVA. This makes it possible for users to use any lens—even modified lenses—confidently for important imaging without worrying about blur from camera shake.
The system will make pitch and yaw corrections for long focal lengths. On the other hand, the inclusion of horizontal and vertical shift compensation will be advantageous for macro and high-magnification imagery. The roll compensation will be useful for all shooting techniques. Even when used with third-party lenses and adapters or lenses with built-in optical stabilisation, all 5 stabilisation axes will always work.