Sony A7S III Overview
For Visual Trailblazers
The Sony a7S III raises the bar for what a full-frame mirrorless camera is capable of with improved video, sensitivity, and speed. Along with UHD 4K 120p video recording and internal 10-bit 4:2:2 sampling, the updated 12.1MP Exmor R BSI CMOS sensor and BIONZ XR image processor offer faster performance, improved noise reduction, and a wider dynamic range.
12.1MP Exmor RS BSI CMOS Sensor and BIONZ XR Processor
In order to achieve improved clarity and reduced noise along with the expectedly impressive sensitivity, from ISO 80-102400 with an extended ISO 40-409600 range, a redesigned 12.1MP full-frame CMOS sensor now features a back-illuminated Exmor RS design. When combined with the updated BIONZ XR image processor, the updated sensor design also produces 2x faster readout speeds than previous generations, significantly reduces rolling shutter by 3x, and speeds up processing and camera handling by up to 8x. Additionally, the sensor and processor combination enables 10 frames per second continuous shooting for up to 1000 uncompressed raw files for still images, as well as a wide dynamic range of up to approximately 14 stops for still images and 15 stops for video.
Video Recording: UHD 4K 120p Video, 10-Bit 4:2:2 Internal Recording
- Frame rates up to 120p can be recorded in UHD 4K using full 1:1 pixel readout without binning. All recording modes also support internal 10-bit 4:2:2 sampling, and for even more flexibility in post-production, 16-bit raw output is also an option when recording externally using the full-size HDMI A port.
- Additionally, two codecs have been created: XAVC S-I, an intraframe codec for consistent performance and quality at bitrates up to 600 Mb/s, and XAVC HS, which uses HEVC/H.265 encoding to retain more detail at lower bitrates.
- With the frame rate playback set to either 30p or 24p or, if switching down to Full HD resolution, an effective 240p frame rate is also available for even better motion control, the high-speed, 120 fps recording enables 4x and 5x slow-motion movie recording.
- The a7S III has no recording time restrictions, allowing for infinite clip lengths, making it suitable for long-form recording. A better heat-dissipating structure is incorporated into the camera's physical design to support longer potential recording times, up to approximately a 60-minute recording time at 4K60p.
Advanced Color Control
- Based on technology from the professional Cinema Line cameras, including the VENICE, S-Cinetone can be used to deliver distinct colours and rendering of healthy-looking skin tones that is compatible with the FX9 and FX6 cameras. This colour profile provides soft colours, natural midtones, and particularly well-controlled highlights.
- You can change the gamma, black level, knee, colour level, and other parameters thanks to the extensive customizable colour and gamma controls offered by the. Additionally, for greater post-production flexibility, users can use the S-Log2 Gamma Curve found on high-end Sony Cinema cameras, which can cram up to 1300% more dynamic range into the video signal than conventional REC709.
Autofocus and Image Stabilization
Fast Hybrid AF System
A Fast Hybrid AF system with a 92% coverage area uses 425 contrast-detection areas and 759 phase-detection points for quick and accurate focusing in a variety of lighting situations with sensitivity down to -6 EV. This focusing system is usable in all recording modes and is advantageous for both stills and video applications. Additionally, it has the ability to lock onto subjects quickly and can either select a subject manually or use Real-time Tracking for AI-based tracking on moving objects. Real-time Eye AF, appropriate for both people and animals, also guarantees the crucial sharpness needed when taking portrait photos. Using the seven-step AF transition speed and five-step AF subject shift sensitivity controls, you can adjust how quickly and smoothly the focusing system shifts focus from one point to another.
5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Image Stabilization
The a7S III features an improved 5.5-stop effective 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilisation system that corrects for five different kinds of camera shake that can occur when taking still photos and videos with a handheld camera. This makes it possible for users to use any lens—even modified lenses—confidently for important imaging without worrying about blur from camera shake.
The system will make pitch and yaw corrections for long focal lengths. On the other hand, the inclusion of horizontal and vertical shift compensation will be advantageous for macro and high-magnification imagery. The roll compensation will be useful for all shooting techniques. Even when used with third-party lenses and adapters or lenses with built-in optical stabilisation, all 5 stabilisation axes will always work.
There is also an Active IS mode, designed specifically for video, which adds even more precise stabilisation techniques for even smoother footage right out of the camera.
Body Design and Connectivity
Tru-Finder EVF and Vari-Angle Touchscreen LCD
- The impressive 9.44m-dot resolution and 0.9x magnification of the QXGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF provide exceptionally bright, clear, and detailed eye-level viewing. The physical design of this viewfinder has a long 25mm eye point, 41° field of view, and a fluorine coating on the outermost viewfinder element to aid in cleaning. It also has a dedicated 120 fps High Quality setting for smooth motion rendering.
- A side-opening 3.0" 1.44m-dot vari-angle articulating screen on the a7-series cameras is a first that facilitates working from high and low angles as well as a front-facing position for vlogging or other self-recording requirements. Additionally a touchscreen, this LCD allows for simple menu and shooting control.
- The improved menu structure is more user-friendly and supports having different workflows and setting options for taking still photos and movies. The rear LCD's touchscreen design and the menu system are complementary.
Versatile and Durable Design
- Both CFexpress Type A and SD-type memory cards can fit into the dual memory card slots. The dual slot design enables flexible file handling and saving, and it can be set up to partition different file types or to record overflow data. Additionally, for faster transfer speeds, both of the card slots are certified to support UHS-II memory cards.
- While still being lightweight, magnesium alloy chassis ensure rigidity, durability, and stability. Additionally, the grip rigidity has been increased for more comfortable hand-holding, and the lens mount has been enhanced to better support heavy lenses.
- For dependable operation in inclement weather, extensive weather-sealing has been used, including improved sealing around the battery cover, terminal cover, and chassis joints.
- accepts the large-capacity NP-FZ100 lithium-ion rechargeable battery, which offers about 510 shots/80 minutes of recording per charge when using the viewfinder or 600 shots/95 minutes of recording per charge when using the rear LCD.
Ports and Connectivity
- Full-size HDMI A port offers a more reliable connection when working with external recorders.
- A USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C port has been added, in addition to a micro-USB port, for faster, more reliable tethering support. The USB Type-C connection allows the camera to be charged or powered from the host power source while connected.
- Both 3.5mm headphone and external microphone ports facilitate greater control over audio recording.
- Multi Interface Shoe supports working with the optional ECM-B1M Shotgun Microphone or XLR-K3M XLR Adapter Kit, which provide improved, clear audio recording sound by sending a digital audio signal to the camera, opposed to an analog signal.
- Built-in Wi-Fi enables the remote camera control and instant sharing of imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online, and support for both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands also enables wireless tethered shooting support. This connectivity also provides remote camera control
- USB Type-C port can be paired with an optional Ethernet wired LAN adapter to provide 1000BASE-T connectivity, wired remote shooting, or FTP transferring.
- 12MP Full-Frame Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor
- UHD 4K 120p Video, 10-Bit 4:2:2 Internal
- 16-Bit Raw Output, HLG & S-Cinetone
- 759-Point Fast Hybrid AF
- 9.44m-Dot QXGA OLED EVF
- 3.0" 1.44m-Dot Vari-Angle Touchscreen
- 5-Axis SteadyShot Image Stabilization
- Extended ISO 40-409600, 10 fps Shooting
- Dual CFexpress Type A/SD Card Slots
- Sony a7S III Mirrorless Camera
- Sony NP-FZ100 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery (2280mAh)
- Sony BC-QZ1 Battery Charger
- Sony ALC-B1EM Body Cap for E-Mount Cameras
- USB Type-C to Type-A Cable
- Cable Protector
- Shoulder Strap
- Accessory Shoe Cap
- Eyepiece Cup