Sony FX6: Compact Cinema Capture
The Sony FX6 Full-Frame Camera was created to provide versatile, cine-style imaging in an incredibly small package. The FX6 is ready to both supplement your FX9 or VENICE capture and to quickly handle documentary, gimbal, and drone shoots on its own thanks to its up to 10-bit, 4:2:2 XAVC-I recording, up to 15+ stops of dynamic range, and Sony's S-Cinetone gamma for filmlike skin tones.
4K Full-Frame Exmor R Sensor
For extremely sensitive capture in a variety of settings, the FX6 camera combines a 4K full-frame Exmor R sensor with a BIONX XR engine, using a base ISO of 800 as well as an ISO 12800 high-sensitivity mode for nuanced low-light scenes. This 10.2 MP image sensor has 627 focal plane points for quick phase-detection autofocus, backside illumination for excellent low-light performance, and full-frame lens compatibility for a rich, immersive look. High frame rates and rapid autofocus responses are supported by the sensor's quick scan speed, which also reduces rolling shutter artefacts.
Compact, Single-Operator Design
The FX6 body is significantly lighter than the FX9, weighing just under 2 lb and measuring 6 x 4.6 in ", it fits a full-frame sensor into a body similar to the Sony FS5 with an S35 sensor. Although the FX6 is a perfect fit for a pro-cine on-set workflow, it also has a number of features that are helpful for a single operator. These include both automatic and manual ND filter settings for quick exposure compensation, fast and accurate phase-detection autofocus with Face Detection and real-time Eye autofocus, and a 3.5 "LCD monitor with flexible positioning for comfortable use and time-saving touchscreen access to key menu settings. Firmware update v1.10 adds 100p and 120p options to the Slow and Quick Motion frame rate menu when the codec is set to RAW or RAW and XAVC-I, in addition to enhancing the camera's general stability.
Versatile Addition to Sony Cinema Line
The FX6 belongs to Sony's Cinema Line and shares important imaging features with well-known cameras like the VENICE and FX9. Full-frame sensors, film-like colour science, compact, lightweight forms, professional connector interfaces, and advanced autofocus options are some of the common core characteristics.
Compared to the FX9, the FX6 differs in several specs; but many FX6 specs tick the same boxes and several improve upon the FX9:
- It matches the FX9's video capture up to DCI 4K60
- Has the same S-Cinetone, S-Log3, and HLG gamma choices
- Outputs 16-bit raw like the FX9
- Sony E lens mount
- Offers the same 1/4 to 1/128 ND options
- Also provides 2-channel XLR audio inputs
FX6 differences from the FX9:
- 4K capture vs 6K
- Has a single 12G/6G/3G-SDI BNC port, trimming the FX9's additional 3G-SDI port
- Incorporates a timecode port but lacks the FX9's genlock connector
Improved FX6 specs include:
- An ISO range of 320 to 409,600 vs the FX9's 320 to 102,400 range
- Top frame rates of 120p in 4K and up to 240p in HD vs the FX9's top 1080p in HD
- Dual card slots compatible with both durable, highly efficient CFexpress Type A or widely available SDXC cards, compared to the FX9's reliance on proprietary XQD cards and a single SD card option
15+ Stops of Dynamic Range
- Captures a whopping 15+ stops of dynamic range
- Creates nuanced, high-resolution images
- Select the Cine EI mode with S-Log3 for the maximum dynamic range
Wide ISO Range
Choose between an 800 base ISO, a 12,800 high-sensitivity ISO for low-light capture, and a maximum ISO of 409,600 for truly low-light conditions.
Electronically Variable ND Filters
- Set the FX6's integrated neutral density (ND) filter system to auto for correctly exposed shots, even in changing light conditions
- Smoothly adjust the ND filter density manually in increments from 1/4 to 1/128 as you shoot
- Both options will produce properly exposed images without affecting your chosen depth of field
Advanced XAVC Codec Options
The FX6 is the first full-frame compact camera to support UHD 4K 4:2:2 capture in the excellent yet effective XAVC-I codec. You can select from a variety of expert XAVC Intra and XAVC Long codecs with bit rates ranging from 35 to 600 Mb/s using this tool as well.
High Frame Rate Selections
For slow-motion and fast action looks, choose from full-frame rates ranging from:
- 1-60 fps in HD to DCI 4K resolutions
- 100 or 120 fps in HD through UHD 4K
- 150, 180, 200, or 240 fps in Full HD
Super35 choices include:
- 1-60, 100, and 120 fps in Full HD
Expressive Cinematic Look
A cinematic appearance is provided by Sony's S-Cinetone gamma curve, which features film-like colour, softer tones, and pleasing skin tone reproduction. This cinematic look is not only available for in-camera viewing, but it can also be recorded and output with little to no grading for a quicker post-production process. the S-Log3, S-Gamut3, S-Cinetone, and S-Gamut3. Additionally, Cine Choices offers a variety of colour grading options and simplifies the process of matching your FX6 footage to your VENICE or FX9 video.
Fast Hybrid/Phase Detection Autofocus
- The FX6 is compatible with 50+ native Sony E-mount lenses
- Improved autofocus choices include Face Detection and Eye Autofocus modes
- Enables rapid focusing with extremely sharp accuracy, even in lower-light settings
- The phase detection autofocus uses seven transition-speed steps and five subject-sensitivity
Image Stabilization and More with Catalyst and Metadata
Pair the FX6 with Sony's Catalyst Prepare/Browse software to automatically rotate gimbal footage, add flags for simpler clip filtering in post-production, and use metadata to stabilise your image.
Touchscreen 3.5" LCD Control
The 3.5" LCD monitor on the FX6 provides high-resolution viewing in addition to touchscreen camera control that is simple. Important settings like Codec, Imager Scan Mode, Picture Size and Frequency, Base ISO/Sensitivity, Shooting Mode, and Audio Levels are accessible through the LCD quick menu controls.
Reliable Design and Construction
The FX6 body's lightweight magnesium alloy chassis provides maximum reliability and effectively dissipates heat to enable longer recording times. The camera's exterior seams, buttons, and interfaces have been updated with sealing to increase its resistance to moisture and dust.
4-Channel Audio Recording
By combining sources from the dual XLR inputs, the 2-channel multi-interface shoe input, and the stereo microphone built into the camera's top handle, the FX6 offers up to 4-channel audio recording. This makes it possible to record your main audio source using an external microphone while also using the built-in microphone to record background noise and/or voice memos from the operator.
Professional Input/Output Interface
- FX6 input and output ports include a selectable 12G/6G/3G-SDI output for flexible monitoring
- Provides an HDMI output and 12-bit raw output via SDI
- Has a timecode input and output for syncing multiple cameras
- Incorporates a built-in Wi-Fi module
CFexpress Media Slots and Multiple Recording Modes
The dual media slots on the FX6 can accommodate both widely accessible UHS-II/UHS-1 SDXC cards and tough, high-performance, high-capacity CFexpress Type A cards. It should be noted that CFexpress Type A cards are necessary for high-speed HD capture at 150/180/200/240 fps and 100/120 fps.
Modular, Grab-and-Go Design
The FX6's modular design allows you to use it with separately available accessories, such as a smart grip and smart handle for fingertip control when shooting handheld, or you can use it with its compact body alone for gimbal or drone use. For convenient, ergonomic viewing, a 3.5" LCD screen can be quickly moved to multiple locations on the camera.
Content Browser Mobile Compatibility
- Use the separately available Content Browser Mobile app with a compatible smartphone or remote control
- The FX6's Wi-Fi function enables remote monitoring and focus/iris/zoom control