The Canon EOS R8 Mirrorless Camera is a full-frame camera body that is compact, lightweight, and offers powerful photo and video capabilities for both photographers and creators of multimedia content. The R8 uses a newly created sensor that is also present in the EOS R6 Mark II. It has a 24.2MP CMOS sensor and a DIGIC X processor. This combination offers impressive 4K 60p 10-bit video, quick autofocus, and outstanding stills performance.
24.2MP Full-Frame Sensor and DIGIC X Processing
The R8 produces high resolution imagery with accurate and vibrant colours by combining a potent full-frame 24.2MP CMOS sensor and DIGIC X image processor. This camera, which was created to function in a variety of lighting situations, offers a versatile ISO 100-102400 range that is expandable to ISO 204800 for working in challenging lighting situations. Both Full HD 1080 180p for slow motion playback and 6K oversampled UHD 4K 60p video recording are supported when using the entire width of the sensor. You can continue working on your project with the R8's 4:2:2 10-bit shooting and up to 2-hours of video recording at 29.97 frames per second. The DIGIC X image processor, which can process high-speed bursts, also supports up to 40 frames per second of continuous shooting and pre-shooting support, which enables the camera to begin recording images 0.5 seconds before pressing the shutter release button.
Dual Pixel CMOS AF II
The sophisticated Dual Pixel CMOS AF II system offers incredibly quick and precise focusing performance thanks to its 1053 automatic AF points that cover the entire sensor area. With the capacity to intelligently recognise people, animals, and vehicles while automatically locking onto them and maintaining sharp focus throughout burst and video captures, this phase-detection focusing system offers enhanced subject detection and tracking. The low-luminance limit of this autofocus system focuses down to an impressive -6.5 EV for precise focusing in low light.
HDR PQ and Canon Log 3
The EOS R8 camera can record impressive video right out of the box, but for content producers looking to advance in their imaging careers, HDR PQ or Canon Log 3 video recording are two potent options. A 10-bit colour file that doesn't need further editing is recorded during HDR PQ recording. This 10-bit HDR file is compatible with HDR displays, which give your video even greater colour accuracy and dynamic range than standard displays. HDR displays include TVs, monitors, and smartphones. Canon Log 3 is another option for creators who enjoy editing their video files. It produces a 10-bit log file that enables creative colour grading and powerful highlights and shadows recovery.
Vertical Movie Mode and Aspect Markers
When watching videos on a smartphone, videos can be played in vertical composition thanks to information about movie rotation that can be set either during or after movie recording. When posting the same file to various social media platforms, the Aspect Markers function displays visual markers for various aspect ratios that may be desired. This display offers guidance on proper file composition for the various deliverables that can be produced during editing.
Due to its UVC/UAC compatibility, the R8 can be used as a web camera to stream live Full HD video to programmes like Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Skype, and other video conferencing software without the need for additional computer software. When using bright aperture lenses for video conferencing or livestreaming content, you will be able to have flexibility in your exposure as well as strong background separation because of the full-frame image sensor.
Movie Digital IS
With Movie Digital IS 5-axis image stabilisation, you can efficiently record stable videos with the least amount of equipment, even when shooting handheld. Using an RF lens with optical image stabilisation reduces camera shake vibrations even more by coordinating Movie Digital IS.
2.36m-Dot EVF and Vari-Angle Touchscreen LCD
The R8 is designed with a bright and clear 2.36m-dot OLED EVF for a pleasing electronic viewfinder experience, offering high-resolution eye-level viewing. The EVF was created to offer a 100% bright, clear, and colourful view of the subject at hand and supports up to a 120 fps refresh rate.
It is also simple to compose and shoot from almost any angle thanks to a sizable 3.0" 1.62m-dot vari-angle touchscreen. The autofocus point on the touch-panel LCD can be moved quickly and intuitively using the touch and drag functionality.
- Wired and wireless connectivity options allow for multiple methods of transferring photos and videos, livestreaming, as well as for remotely controlling the camera. Physically, the camera features a remote port, a USB-C port, a micro-HDMI port, a microphone input, and a headphone jack for monitoring sound.
- Built-in Bluetooth pairing lets you easily connect the camera to compatible smart devices using the free Canon Camera Connect app. This low-energy wireless connection helps preserve battery life, while providing remote control of the camera. It also sends continuously updated GPS location data from your phone, letting you geotag what you've captured so you know precisely where you captured the photo.
- Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity enables wireless functions, such as remote live view, file viewing, and transfer, by connecting to Wi-Fi quickly and seamlessly. Using the Canon Camera Connect app, you can also transfer files to your mobile device to browse and share on social media.
- Built-in USB-C allows you to connect the camera to a smartphone or computer. All Canon Camera Connect app features that can be used with Wi-Fi are now available when the camera and smartphone are connected via USB, using a compatible cable for your device.
Next-Generation Multi-Function Shoe
The Multi-Function Shoe is an improvement over a traditional hot shoe that adds a row of pins to the front of the design to allow for greater accessory functionality and to supply power to some accessory types that typically rely on separate batteries.
Canon RF 24-50mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens (Canon RF)
The RF 24-50mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens is a flexible standard zoom that offers wide-angle to normal-view focal lengths in a lightweight and small package. This lens is ideal for capturing landscapes, cities, street scenes, portraits, products, and more. It is also a great option for vlogging and content creation. In order to support both stills and video recording, an STM stepping AF motor produces quick, smooth, and nearly silent autofocus performance. Additionally, an optical image stabiliser reduces camera shake by up to 4.5 stops, making it easier to take sharp handheld pictures in dim lighting.
- Standard wide-angle to telephoto zoom lens is designed for use with full-frame Canon RF-mount mirrorless cameras.
- STM stepping motor offers fast, quiet, smooth, and accurate autofocus performance that is ideal for video recording as well as still shooting.
- Optical Image Stabilizer technology compensates for up to 4.5 stops of camera shake to better enable taking sharp handheld photos in difficult lighting conditions. When paired with EOS R-series cameras featuring an In-Body Image Stabilizer (IBIS), up to 7 stops of shake correction are provided.
- Incorporates a focus control ring on the lens barrel that can directly adjust numerous settings including shutter speed, aperture, exposure compensation, and more. Located towards the front of the lens, this ring effectively adds a third dial to the camera's main dial and quick control dial.
- Two aspheric elements and a Super Spectra Coating minimize ghosting and flare.
- Minimum focusing distance of 11.8" for working with close-up subjects.
- Compact and lightweight lens weighs just 7.4 oz.